Viper vs. SX700R piped.......

journeyman

This is one I have been curious about. I had a 2001 SX700R (mostly stock) just before my Viper. I was planning on piping the SX-R the next season then got caught up in the Viper hype and bought my current Viper. When I had the SX-R my father had a 1998 XTC700 triple. Yes these two had the same redhead motor and long travel rear skid but just the 2001 had the rare earth magneto/ignition (stronger spark & different firing order) like the 2000-2002 SRX's did. Yamaha claimed no HP difference but I begged to differ. My 2001 could pull my dad's XTC pretty good and his was no slouch at the time. So I always felt that piping a 2001 would have seen a little better results than a pre-2001 redhead.

That being said both our Vipers have been strong runners and have pretty decent legs on topend for being stock. Any guess on how they would fair against a piped SX-700R. I think the Hauck/CPR's were one of the better topend pipes for this sled. I know Bender's get the highest marks from many on here though. There were several other decent pipes for these too.

a good running well tuned and clutched stock viper would have its hands full. my guess is that a piped 01 sx700r thats clutched properly as well would win. i think for the first 100 feet itd be close then the sx700r would start the walk.. imo.

I would use my dad's Viper as an example. Mine is strong but his is the strongest stock Viper I have ever seen. An F7 beater. So I actually think this would be a close race. A fella I know who used the redhead motor for awhile in his water skippers said only the Hauck/CPR and the Power Inc race pipes had good top end. He claimed the other makes of pipes all worked well on that engine but were mostly thicker in the midrange but not so much on top. I still plan on finding a clean 2001 SX700R in the future and probably piping it with CPR's. Then I will know the true answer I guess. I wish I would have kept mine. It rode better.

my bender piped SX seen in the 120's on GPS (long run). Ran 116mph in 2000ft speed runs. I would say thats good top end

yamyrider said:
my bender piped SX seen in the 120's on GPS (long run). Ran 116mph in 2000ft speed runs. I would say thats good top end

Well I shouldn't have really left the Bender's out. I know alot on here say they worked great and alot of people claim they were the overall best for that engine. When the Bender's first came out in 1997 with the new '97 SX ,I remember guys around my area having issues getting them setup right. Kind of like the Bender Viper pipes. As time goes by those little issues get worked out.

A couple of bucks said:
Sxr gets my nod. I think an 01 and up SXR miiiiiiight just take the viper even w/o pipes. Pipe & clutch it.......and the Vipe is TOAST. Burnt that is.

Not without pipes. Been there and done that. Wasn't a good race either.

Would a stock 98 SX, not XTC, be faster that a 01 SXR because of the shorter travel suspension? I would think it being lower would help it more than the SXR having a more powerful magneto. I'm not disagreeing with you i'm just curious what you guys think.

Not in my experience. I raced a few when I had my 2001. It was stronger than all the previous year models. My neighbor had a 1997 SX700, my dad had the '98 XTC and a fella from our neighboring town had a 2000 SXR700. My 2001 could pull them all. In fact my dad's XTC was the next closest. My old 2001 ended up in the hands of a guy in the area and low and behold my dad got to run him with his Viper. I thought it would be close but it was not. I was flagging and the Viper literally walked away in a 1000' run.

My buddys got an 01 sx700r thats ben pretty well masaged for all its worth. Triple pipes w/stingers,clutched, ait box mod. I would confidently put money on it to win against any stock viper, I would favor his sled against slightly modded vipers. He can nearly hang with me on the srx!

Devilin AblueDress! said:
My buddys got an 01 sx700r thats ben pretty well masaged for all its worth. Triple pipes w/stingers,clutched, ait box mod. I would confidently put money on it to win against any stock viper, I would favor his sled against slightly modded vipers. He can nearly hang with me on the srx!

Hmmm, good to hear. I had a chance to ride a '99 SX700 that was part of that seasons snocross team. One of the few sleds that were done by Pat Hauck for Yamaha. It had Ohlins throughout. A 1.5" Challenger track. Widened running boards. CPR/Hauck ceramic triples, VForce reeds and spacers, 760 big bore and porting. A seat and bar riser with hooked bars. That thing was totally awesome. You could sit in 2-3' of fresh powder, stand towards the back of the wide boards, can it and it would literally wheelie for a long ways as you used your body english to dish it back and forth. This was in the UP of Michigan and we took it down to Pat's Yamaha in Greenland the year the Apex was brand new. He had a new Apex setup real well so we lined them up. It was a dead even race and I knew that Apex was fast. His always are with their long time connections with Yamaha. I would love to set one up similar to that.

Back