Lake Vermilion MN - how are the trails?

ldickie

We are heading up to Lake Vermilion MN this weekend, and are wondering where we should go (and where to stay away from)?

We are staying up on Black Bay. Black Bay is located on the far North/West side of Lake Vermilion.

The local trail reports show fair to poor trail conditions, but not all trails are on the report.

We know conditions overall are not great, but we can't get our deposit back for the lodging, so we're committed to going unfortunately.

If anyone's been up there within the last few weeks, please let me know where we might find some snow.

Thanks,

Levi

I'm almost in the same boat. Have some reservations up near Grand Marais for the weekend of the 17th but we like to ride from two harbors up. According to the dnr site the trails are poor. Sucks to be us this year i guess. We will probably get our snow in april. If you cannot cancel, drive up and party.

We're going to Ely next weekend (17th-20th) snow or no snow. I've got a trailer on a lake with good crappie fishing, so that is our back-up plan. At least I won't have to call and have someone plow out my driveway.

We are back home from a fun trip up to Vermilion.
We found that the lake was the most reliable riding... not as fun, but had the most snow.
We did head up north through Wolf bay and took the river up to Buyck and found that the river (for the most part) was very well covered in snow with a few exceptions. Those were the parts marked off as "Danger Rapids" and had portages to go around all the big rocks etc... Other than that, the river riding was the most fun.
Took a few trails on the way back with very mixed results.
Overall, the trails conditions were horrible at best. Barely enough snow to cover the dirt... and a LOT of rocks.

Anyway... that's my report.

Thanks,

Back