snow

I went last weekend to stowe VT, trails sucked. Pretty much just ice. A very good base if we had a little powder, but as it was, I gave up after a half hour to save my hyfax.

They're saying 70% chance of rain on friday, so meh.

just heard on the news Europe has had more snow then they can remember.People are digging tunnels in 4 meters of snow to try and get out of their houses.People are dying ,no electricity..no food to get to.A lot of elders are freezing to death in their homes.How do you even try and dig a tunnel..where would you put the snow.The streets would be impassable for rescue.Hoewdo you even begin.... :brr

copied this from 1 report of our winter..

One explanation for the warmer than normal season is the Arctic Oscillation (AO), which has two phases.
"A 'positive' phase is where the jet stream flows strong and far to the north thus "trapping" cold Arctic air near the pole," explains Cool. "And a second 'negative' phase results in a jet stream track much further south. This second pattern essentially opens the freezer door and allows the cold air from the north to spill southwards."
Within the last couple of weeks, the Arctic Oscillation dipped back into a negative phase, so what's in store for the rest of February?
"According to the computer model predictions, there seems to be an agreement that we're heading back to positive territory...It seems clear that warm conditions are set to return, at least for the third week of February," says Cool.
He warns that the lack of snowfall so far this winter however, is not guaranteed to continue.
"Significant later winter and early spring active weather is not uncommon, so don't be ready to write this winter off just yet."

so keep the sleds gased up..and maybe one morning we may wake up to a ton of snow in March or April. In 1997 here we had that one freak snowstorm on April 7 that crippled the City.It was te extra shot of snow we didn't need as it lead to the Flood of the Century here.How do you win... :o|

That would be awesome to have some snow this month or in April. I heard people where riding in Atlantic, IA. Not sure what its like there!!

Just got dumped on in northern Michigan last night. Woke up to no power and 15 inches of fresh snow. Didn't hit the trails because of all the down trees.

Man I need to make a trip so I can ride all the snow seems to be 9 or so hours from me. That sucks. Where I live it snows today then it 50 degrees tomorrow. URRRR :o| :whine:

The trails around Ely are very nice! They were seeing a lot of traffic though. However, I only rode for about an hour and then my sled developed a short, and kept shutting off, wouldn't start back up unless I fiddled with the wiring harness. after about the third or forth time it made it back to the truck and I loaded it up, and swam the rest of the morning with the kids.

Oh, I heard that Duluth & the North Shore has been dumped on! While we were in Ely, I was talking to people from Duluth who were there for a hockey tourney and they were saying that the neighbors had called them and said they had a about a 12 to 18" of fresh snow waiting for them to plow.

Back