97 MM 600 ride adjustment

Fasterblaster

Howdy all
I just rode a 99 Phazer 136" which seems to be the same chassis as my MM, but the ride was soooo smooth and nimble...and it turned sooo well. It has Viper skis on it. Questions:
- why was the ride so different. I know its lighter, but what a difference?
- would the Viper skis make that much difference?
????
Also, I was trying to adjust my rear skid for less "take-off" by moving the centre shock to the middle notch, but the suspension seems to ride really low now??? Any ideas what I've done here?
thnks

hey Blaster...............what do you mean by "take off".
What hole was it in before.??

The adjustment you're speaking of changes all the spring rates and damping characteristics of the rear suspension. There should be 3 holes. The highest is the soft setting and the hole closest to the ground is the hard setting.
(mine is in the middle)

97's came with steel skis. Are you running these???
How about all your spring preloads? Check the info below.
Ski spring pressure....I have set to the lightest notch (the least pressure).
Rear susp....frt spring on #3 (middle)
Rear susp.....big upper spring on #3 (1 soft to 7 hard).

I have mine set up so it might botton out couple times a day.
This way I'm using all the travel. No use having 11" of travel and only using 4.
I weigh about 180 and it rides awsome.
:WayCool:

Yoa Dutchman, how's it going man.
By "takeoff" i meant the machine wasn't turning very well... tended to plow especially with any throttle given. I just adjusted to try to give the skis more turning pressure. They are yamaha plastic skis ( i think) with a small 3"-4" carbide on the wear bar. I would sure like it to turn like that Phazer turned. Otherwise, I think my new settings are pretty close to yours. I sits a lot lower now... i though i broke something, but it looks fine under. Do the control rods need to be adjusted at all?

Great. We finally have good snow but it's been cold. All I've done so far is rip around through the fields and ditches. Still fun.
Sitting lower???
I have the stock plastic skis on mine. They work ok. The viper ones might give a better bite (not sure since i don't know what they look like). If you're pushing through the corners, for sure you need more pressure on the front end.
*Rear suspension (front shock) spring pressure could be too hard.
*Front limiter straps could be too long.
*Control rods can also get the front end up. If you have the stock ones, they're a PITA to adjust. You will see white plastic washers on the stock rods. The more gap you have on the top, the more transfer you will have. I have Bender transfer rods. Takes 30 seconds to adjust depending on what conditions I'm in. I can set them to do a wheelie or the opposite to keep the front end stuck to the ground.

There is some really good info in the tech pages. Look under "skis and front suspension". There are a couple categories called "Proaction system" and "darting and fix".
It took me a while to figure out the best combo for me, but once I did, yahoo.
Anyways......good luck :beer:

Back