Snowmobile powered Dunebuggy

MrSled

Site Admin/CEO
Staff member
Website
www.totallyamaha.com
Ed L asked me to post this. Click his link this thing is really trick and the new version with 2 RX1 Turbo Motors will be unreal....

I built a off road race car powered by 2-1994 Artic Cat 700cc 2 stroke motors back in 2000 and now I have started my project of switching from 2-1994 Artic Cat 700cc 2 stroke motors to 2 Yamaha 1000cc 4 stroke RX-1 motors (turbo charged). I purchased the turbo kits in pieces from Jeff at CPR, he is a true motor head and has been very helpful plus the parts are first class. The neat part about the car is the motors are independent (one motor drives the right rear wheel and the other the left) so with a encoder on the steering I send a signal to a CPU which controls the servo that speeds up the outside wheel and slows down the inside proportionally to the steering input. I have a website of the buggy article that appeared in Sand Sports Magazine back in 2001, it is explained better for those that are interested. http://www.geocities.com/fearless7and7

I am hoping TotallYamaha users will give me some of their expertise with sorting some of the Yamaha stuff out, as I am using the whole bulkhead of the sled (remove drivers add sprocket). I have purchased 2 totaled RX-1's one is a 2003 the other a 2004 both look as though they have under 1000 miles on them. I think at this point I will end up with a 2 seat as these motors with turbo & intercoolers take up more space, and it will be a dual mid engine giving it an excellent center of gravity.

Ed L

Progress Pics Found http://www.rx1.info/viewtopic.php?p=80965#80965

I've seen that buggy at the sand sports dunebuggy trade show a couple of years ago. That thing was awesome. The guy that built it did all the engineering himself. I think he build anything. I am into dunebuggies also. Hence the name sandmanmike1. I have a four seater street legal with a Ford 2.3 liter 4 banger puttin out about 170 hp in a 950 lb. buggy.

Thank You! I had a 2.3 turbo on my last buggy putting out the max HP on the stock injectors about 260, although mine weighed 2000 lbs. Which is the same as the new one, but with 2 turbo charged RX-1 motors, I should have 250 HP each @ 12 psi with water/Alc injection. (500 HP 2000 lbs CVT trans). Plan on sand dragging along with the off roading this summer. -Ed

Back