93 Exciter II SX Clutch setup

mars_man

Just wondering if anyone has a good setup for sea level. The sled seems to be lacking power... Starts well, runs well, but just seems to be missing some snap to it.

I think the previous owner messed with the clutching a little and made more damage than anything. seems to be set up for high alt.

What RPM should the cluthes engage and shift out at on a 93 SX?

I saw in the user charts that someone is using a Y-W-Y Primary spring, but I think to use this spring, I have to upgrade the clutch cap to the "longer spring" style? newer than 99... can this be done?

Also, who makes dual angle helixes for the older yamahas?

Thanks.

88r weghts no rivets,15.6 rollers, bender yellow primary spring, 45/39 hlix, yell/green sec spring at 70. Jetting: 45 pilots p6 nozzle, 310 jets, #2 clip, 1 turn on the fuel screws, this was a set up for a Bender piped Exciter. I am pretty sure the SX II had better pipes, so this may work for you.

Call Larry at North Country Yamaha, he can get you that helix and he will know better how to clutch that SX as well. Tell him Tom told you to call him from TY.

Right now it has :

White-Pink-White Primary
8AY weights
Pink sec. spring set at 10deg. (A-1)
gearing is stock

The sled runs very well engages at 4000, and shifts about at 7800, it won't do 90 though... And from what I hear, it should. :o|

It also has a wierd bog sometimes coming out of a corner or after slowing down for some bumps... If I go full throttle from a stop, it's fine. But seems that it gets stuck in too high a gear after slowing down (10 - 15 MPH) then getting back on it.

I will call him on Monday though nonetheless, anyone else have any ideals?

Last edited:
Mr Sled got confused. That sled has flat slides on it. The thing came way too rich from the factory, you can drop it one or 2 sizes I think I had 150's in mine. The 8AY's work ok with that sled. You can't go too aggressive with the weights because of the port timing in the engine. Try just putting 3mm of shims with the stock spring, lean it out, and put a 42 39 in the secondary with the pink spring at 50 or 60. If your sled doesn't backshift its because you have the secondary set at 10, that will never work. I took my last one I had through a 94 600 in it with PSI exciter twins, now that was a fun exciter. Ran 103 on the gun. If you could find a set of low rpm PSI twins that would be the ticket on that thing, that was the only Exciter they worked the best on because of the higher ports.

Ok I just went and checked the OLD tuning box. I have a 42 39 machined nickel helix as well as a 45 42 machined not plated. The first will definately work and maybe the second depending on rider weight and spring wrap. $50 ea. The other thing we did with those was put 93 V4 rails in it, that was good for 3 4 mph.

OK, thanks for the help!

It has a dual angle helix in it now... It has no numbers on it at all though. The machine already had 3 engagement shims on it. (engaged right at 4000). I removed them, now it comes in at 3800. I was trying to fix an overrev condition, didn't help...

I tightended the secondary to 50 deg. the upshift and backshift is now PERFECT. right where I want it, but it hits 8100 RPM on top end... Too much for this sled. Any ideas? I am sure that when I re-jet it will be even worse... How can I bring it back to 7700?

I have an AAEN single waiting to go on. But this pipe revs at 7700 I am told... I want to fix this overrev problem first. Can i run this pipe on the stock jets?

Thanks for the help soo far, glad to have my power back.

:yam:

the stock pipe will have more bottom than the aaen. You need to put more weight in the clutch and get the engagement up to 43 to 4500

I will look at the helix this week and let you know.

How do i get the engagement up that high?

get a spring with more pre-load? or?

I know it will need more weight in the primary thats for sure.

Thanks.

You could try throwing a bunch of shims at it first just to see what you need. I think that 8AY only came with 1.5gr. in it so extra weight is easy. Check that helix, if its the 8K4 which it probably is, thats a 2 straight angle helix 45-39 which tends to be too much in the middle plus it will sometimes act like it gets stuck in the transition point.

I responded to your post on the other yamaha site. They won't let me post it here. It comes up **********.com
The AAEN pipe doesn't work too good on that sled. Been there done it. It takes the fuel mileage way down too. The Bender works the best BTW. Also the stock helix works best. 39 deg. at 60 twist. It backshifts aweful with a multi angle helix.

Last edited:
Hmm, i see about the pipe.

I was going to get it from a friend who ran it for a while in his 89 EXC. he took it off beacause of the burn downs... heh.

The DG pipes are selling for cheap now...i will look into it.

Thanks for everything!

The DG I referred to is the original one that was a copy of the PSI. The latter version I don't know about. DG had to change it or else get sued by PSI. I'd look for a PSI or a Bender.

Alright, I got a bit of testing done :

First off, the helix that was in there had no part # no markings NOTHING. So I don't have a clue what it is.

I got a new spring for the primary, Maxx-Perf Green. Engages quite higher around 45-4700. Also running 3 shims with it.

Now I was still getting the over-rev. I took the secondary apart, only to find my new cam slider buttons were wore right down and the helix was just griinding on the clutch housing ...... Ouch.

Anyways, onto the rest of the tuning, I threw on my dads secondary (93 Phazer) cause I wanted to go for a quick ride and it works PERFECT on there. haha, So I tore it open and it's a 45 deg. helix and pink spring set at A2. So well, I am looking for a new secondary clutch for mine and a 45 deg helix, anyone have this?

You need a whole clutch???? 45 drg helixes are easy. Can't believe it will pull a 45, you must be light, or you didn't run it far enough. Take it out again and string it out and see if it pulls down after 1000ft.

Back