2000 Phazer vs. late 90's yamaha liquids

Phazer 128

how would a phazer do against yamaha liquid 500's in a 500 foot drag. trying to decide to race it or not and the sleds in the class are all yamahas.

I have raced my SX500R and done very well. But sometimes there are some guys at the drags that run phazers. Depends on classes with trail studs vs pic/chizels. A friend on mine had a phazer that was ported and piped by PSI and he always won his classes. We were pretty comparable otherwise. But anything with a long run I'd have the edge for top speed.

It's definetly worth racing just for the fun of it!

BA

i got some chizels i could use and it has vforce3 reeds. i have a bender single pipe but i dont know if they will let me use it in stock.

Last edited:
If the liquids are tuned at all, you likely won't stand a chance. The earlier Phazers were usually quicker than the 99-01 Phazers. If you got more power out of the engine, geared way down and tuned the clutching to match, you could compete short distance. The stock 2000 Phazer will only generate 60 -65 HP when running crisply. The 500 liquid twin can generate quite a bit more. VmaxJohn's 500 liquid would toast my 2000 Phazer on take-off. I always had to reel him in on the corners.

Ding said:
If the liquids are tuned at all, you likely won't stand a chance. The earlier Phazers were usually quicker than the 99-01 Phazers.
If he's refering to a comparison like these two pictures(a 97 & 2000), the newer of these two Phazers is probably @ 100 pounds heavier as well.
I'd have to give it to the late model. Especially if the driver of the 97 is small.

Attachments

• phazer.jpg
    phazer.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 1
  • phazer2000.jpg
    phazer2000.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The 500's should make 87 hp, seen that figure several times. I don't think a Phazer stands a chance if the liquid is mantained, even with stock clutching. The 97 xtc 500 was actually the fastest of the 500's in a Swedish sled magazine test, of the 500s.

i have a sx500r and she goes pretty quick. now some how i lost my power band in the clutch department i think i need a new belt and springs...any advice? i never dragged it but it would beat my dads ski doo 600 twin up the ski slopes when our local ski mountain opened up to sleds for the night! awesome by the way. to get back on subject you might have a chance?

SRX500kid said:
i have a sx500r and she goes pretty quick. now some how i lost my power band in the clutch department i think i need a new belt and springs...any advice? i never dragged it but it would beat my dads ski doo 600 twin up the ski slopes when our local ski mountain opened up to sleds for the night! awesome by the way. to get back on subject you might have a chance?

A new Yamaha belt makes a huge difference. I have seen up to 4mph in 660ft radar runs from a used trail belt to new one. Also, if the spring in the clutch is getting weak it can make a huge difference as well. I believe the stock spring is a blue pink blue. But it has been a year or two since I rebuilt my clutch. My 01' SX500R has over 7000 miles on it and it still hauls the mail for a 500. I have done 95mph all out across the lake on radar on a shaved ice track. My girlfriend has a 99' Phazer and it runs well too but just doesn't have the long run mph that my liquid has. Another key to making the small cc sleds run having the motor perfectly straight. This can be achieved with a clutch alignment tool so that sheave offset is right along with the center to center from the primary to the secondary. On small displacement sleds all the little details matter so much more.

BA

i was ding speed runs on a local lake and it was towards the end of the season but one run i hammered it and hit 95mph on the speedometer and was still climbing slowly i backed off though. it was the fastest i ever went on that machine.

I had a 90 phazer, lake ported, single psi pipe, dual flat slide 38s. My dad had the previously mentioned xtc 500 "98", I know their was a stock dyno test on a website I saw that listed thet sled at 92 HP. My phazer could beat him in a drag pretty good but top end was about the same. That phazer could also beat some stock 650 Indys and wildcats as long as they had not been dialed in too well and we did not go more then a 1/4 mile. We still have the 500. It runs great on top end but has never been much on drags. There were lots of good performance mods for the older, lighter phazers. If you are moding it the phazer may be better. If you are trying to keep at least the appearance of stock the 500 may be the better choice.

Last edited:

Back