97 V-MAX 500???

reliable sled! Milage is nothing to write home about, but can be helped. The clutching will probably make you fall asleep, and tire out your thumb, but that can be fixed too! Should be a nice riding sled for ya.

Slopes, you're new here! Allow me to put on my flight attendant hat for a sec ;)

The amazing new seach feature is located in the upper tool bar, there's tons of stuff on here and on www.totallyamaha.net too. Check out the tech page too!

The clutching is pretty easy to work on, minimal tools are needed, and you can adjust the secondary quite easily on the trail.

Best thing is to get it home, and ask specific questions after you use the search feature. Good luck, and have fun!

Very nice sled! I have a 1998 VMax Sx 600. they are fun to fool around on. the throttle is a little tight on it though so you might get some fatigue. but you can fix it.

To answer your question directly, th backshift takes too much throttle. This means you're pushing on the throttle alot more than you should, which can tire out your thumb! No biggy.

I have a 97 XTC 500. As you can see in my avitar (the little pic to your left) it doesn't get babied. I bought it in 2000 as a left over and have 4300 miles on it now. The only problem I have had with it is the rivets that hold on the trailing arm mount loosened up. Other than that the sled has been flawless. Like John says, the gas mileage is not so hot, about 9-10 MPG. Stock they are a tad sluggish. I used the clutching set up John has in his and it totally rocks now. Plus the reed notch trick helps considerably also. The whole clutching set up can be for around $120. Its a cheap set up that wakes the 500's up.

I plan to keep the sled stock for reliability, so what setting on the secondary clutch should I have it on?
I have had it apart for servicing already, and I just put it back to where it was. I took it for a rip already and i noticed that at slow speeds (30-40 kph) it seems to rev higher then it should and then the secondary opens up and its seems fine. Is this normal? does anyone have a specific setting that there happy with?

sorry for the long post, this is my first sled..

Keep an eye out on the Carbs... they seem to loose screws :lol:

But its an easy fix, when you find the problem :roll:

V-max 500

The 500s only get 10-12 mpg? Yikes! Thats not very good for a 500. I was considering buying a 500 if I could find one for around $3000 but now I dunno, my Phazer gets almost twice that milage.
This past winter the old Phazer pulled 17 mpg, pretty good for a what a lot of people have told me is a POS sled. (POS because it a Yamaha, not because of the condition that its in)

You should be able to find a 500 for around $2000. They are only booking for around $2200. I bought mine brand spanking new in dec. 99 for $3500. It was a 97 left over.

lost again said:
Keep an eye out on the Carbs... they seem to loose screws :lol:

But its an easy fix, when you find the problem :roll:

My throttle linkage screw came out of mine. It picked a nice time to do it too. I was installing the reeds and it must have fallen out when I pulled the carbs. Not knowing it happened I put it all back together and it ran like crap. So I figured it was something to do with the reeds so I pulled those back out and put the stock reeds back in. Still ran like crap so I got looking around with the airbox off and noticed one of my slides wasn't moving. So after that I figured out the screw came out. Pulled it apart again and put the Boyesons back in. Then Mr. Sled posted about the reed stop notch. Off they came again!

Back