Kewaskum/ Dundee Wi

Throttle Junkie35

Holy Crap!! I did a couple hundred miles near the Kewaskum area yesterday. NEVER AGAIN. At least on the weekend. The 3' high wash board corners are just a start!!! I have never seen so many sleds on the trails in this area. That was pretty cool, but that was about the only cool thing besides the scenery around the kettle moraine forest.
Im sure the trails can be very nice in that area, but the sled traffic was rediculous. The biggest problem I have is the overall ediquette of the snowmobilers I encountered. Three times I saw a blurr of yellow comming at me, in my lane on the inside corner. Just abosolutely haul'n a**!!!
Several times we stopped on the trail to shoot the breeze. We would pull well off the trail so we were'nt in the way. Seems most riders would see us, slow down a bit, then resume full throttle before they would even pass us. One particular instance was at a ''T". A group of riders were making a turn and ended up showering me and my sled with snow, rocks and ice. WTF!!??
I love riding hard and fast, however when there is that much traffic you simply cant. It is just plain dangerous and need to asume that someone else is on the other side of that corner. I am fine with adjusting to the conditions, a little more respect and courtesy from other riders would be appreciated though. Im sure most of you would agree. Think about the next time you round a corner and giver hell. Not only are you leaving a huge pile of snow behind you for the next guy to hit, But the guy on the other side of the corner may be going as fast as you are.
I am not a "model snowmobiler" by any means. Its easy to get carried away with throttle at times, but what I saw yesterday was a total eye opener. I actually started laughing at one point because it reminded me of the Ice Road Trucker series when they were filming in India. Total chaos!!
I feel fortunate to be able to ride my sled from my door step. I live in the same area I was rasied and ride what is left of the trails I grew up on. Some of the trails have been here since 1968, I believe the same year the club I belong to was founded.
Which brings me to another point. The guys riding off trail, cutting corners, high marking the burms near peoples houses needs to stop!! The tracks I saw off trail this weekend is totally unacceptable!! They are everywhere. There is more signage from clubs and land owners this year stating that staying on the trail is a must. And it IS a must. Land owners are nice enough to let the snowmobile clubs (not the DNR as most people think) put in a trail on their property and then riders go off trail and damage crops, lawn, trees and other property. Then everyone complains that the trail got closed down. Dane county almost got shut down for this reason. Yes, an entire county!!
I now understand why a growing number of people dislike snowmobilers and why STAY ON TRAIL and posted speed limits are nescasary. We as sledder's have a responsibility to respect other sledders, trails we ride, land owners, and the people who year after year bend over backwards to make the trail system happen. It only makes ity harder for them when they have to apoligize for damage to the land owners property then BEG for permission to put the trail on their land. They can say no. There is no law stating the trail has to be on their property.
This is not only at a local level. The more we annoy the non sledder, the more laws and less trails we will create.
Sorry for the rant but it needs to be said. Enjoy the last few days of the season.

I rode from Sheboygan to Kettle moraine yestarday. And I agree with you, super super rough and lots of traffic. Today I left from Green Bay and went over to Clintonville then Shawano lake then over to Oconto falls and south to Green Bay. They were like a race track, super smooth and very little ice. If you want a good ride I suggest going north. Less snow but better trails

Ya, I figured there would be quite a few people in that area and it was great to see all the enthusiasm for the sport. Just would like to see a little more courtesy from some of the riders. But Im sure some body out there thinks I'm a prick too. LOL.

Trails here where I live are real smooth, was out yesterday for a while, was like a highway and I didn't see many sleds either. Was kinda funny as it was uppers 20s and not a cloud in the sky yesterday...

That's why I keep all my sleds up north at my cottage than keep any down here. I do my kettle moraine riding on two wheels.

Now regarding the left lane riders, this has been a real issue this year, even in the north woods. It's like people can't even imagine that someone could POSSIBLY be coming the other direction, especially in corners on a public snowmobile trail. The right side is my side. Pretty much any sledder in Wisconsin I have talked to has seen this be a real issue this year.

I think the state needs to invest in some ads and signs on the trails to inform people.

horkn said:
That's why I keep all my sleds up north at my cottage than keep any down here. I do my kettle moraine riding on two wheels.

Now regarding the left lane riders, this has been a real issue this year, even in the north woods. It's like people can't even imagine that someone could POSSIBLY be coming the other direction, especially in corners on a public snowmobile trail. The right side is my side. Pretty much any sledder in Wisconsin I have talked to has seen this be a real issue this year.

I think the state needs to invest in some ads and signs on the trails to inform people.
Yes I agree. I talked with some members of my snowmobile club and I sent a letter to the AWSC to see what we could do as far as addressing some of these issues.
My thought is ads and signage also, but what about educating new riders?? Im curious as to what they stress in the snowmobile safety course. I believe if you were born after 1985 you need to take the course and get liscened. Now they offer an on-line course to get your licsense. To me, that seems like a cop out for good training. I think that if you cant attend the offered classes in the area, you shouldnt be able to legally ride on the trails. Just my opinion, we'll see what happens. Stay safe, Stay right!!

Respect

I rode from home (Cascade) and the trail were kinda rough especially by Kewaskum. Mainly due to the traffic. Grommers can't keep up. I grew up on a farm near Parnell and know what it is like having your crops torn out of the ground by SOME people who have NO consideration for the farmers that allow them to use there land. My brother still farms and likes it when snowmobilers wave to him. Some people need to think how a farmer feels. When he is busy working all day and has no time to ride, he see's people ride past all day on HIS LAND. Then he see's some of them go off the trail on HIS LAND killing more of HIS CROPS. Some people feel entitled to do this.
I know most of us who go on these boards respect the farmers....so THANK YOU
So get the word out and WAVE to a farmer or even stop and say thanks.
Tim

Tim@DBF said:
I rode from home (Cascade) and the trail were kinda rough especially by Kewaskum. Mainly due to the traffic. Grommers can't keep up. I grew up on a farm near Parnell and know what it is like having your crops torn out of the ground by SOME people who have NO consideration for the farmers that allow them to use there land. My brother still farms and likes it when snowmobilers wave to him. Some people need to think how a farmer feels. When he is busy working all day and has no time to ride, he see's people ride past all day on HIS LAND. Then he see's some of them go off the trail on HIS LAND killing more of HIS CROPS. Some people feel entitled to do this.
I know most of us who go on these boards respect the farmers....so THANK YOU
So get the word out and WAVE to a farmer or even stop and say thanks.
Tim
I heard the Dundee area groomer started on fire this year and was a total loss. Not sure who was grooming for them. With the amount of traffic and the area being down a groomer, I can totally understand why the trails were so beat. It happens.
I appreciate every farmer who lets us put a trail on their property. I always wave to anyone I see on the trail. Especially if I suspect they could be a land owner. Its the least I can do to show my graditude.
I always respected the land owners and had made a mistake a few years ago regarding a farmer with out knowing it.
I was renting a house with tons of acrage. Most of it farmed. We had permission to ride in the fields so I took full advantage. The problem was noticed in spring when vegitation started to bud. The fields were farmed in a ''NO TILL" fasion. Meaning that they never have to plow them under which I thought was great because they were smooth as glass with minimal snow. Unknowingly we rode all over the fields and were our snow traffic was, all kinds of weeds popped up in spring. I guess it had to do with the sleds compacting the soil. The weed issue was brought to my attention by a nieghbor who was a farmer also. I never would have done this intentionally. It would have been wise for us to stay along the edge of the fields and not over stay our welcome.
Now this brings me to a point. Even though there may not be winter wheat or what ever, You may still be damaging the planting area by riding off trail.
I did about 90 miles of riding sw of my place in Waukesha County last night and was the perfect ride to end the season. Fresh groomed trails, smooth as can be with minimal traffic. It was also the first time I saw signs that said "KEEP OFF BERM". Its completely ridiculous that there is a need for such signage, but good to see that other clubs are taking measures to keep land owners happy.
Yes, wave to your land owners!

Back