Yamaha Opinion on Rev

C-money

Is there any Yamaha guys out there that have tried a Rev?
I would just like an honest opinion on how they ride. I am sick of hearing how wonderful they are in the big bumps and how nothing compares.
Are they truly that much better than a well set up Yam, or anything else for that matter?

Rev

Rode and raced a 600 HO Rev and it is fast and not that bad in the bumps but really twitchy at high speeds. Excellant front end for dampening bumps but too sensitive when you touch down,your skiis better be pointing the right way. Fuel milage was disapointing, hard to keep back end behind you at high speed when braking.
Next rode a 800 HO Summit Rev and lined her up to a real mogul laden trail I can pin my SX on and it became the scariest 15 second ride I've been on in a while. Airborne touch down head for trees holy shit correct head for trees on other side holy shit roll it on trail. Of the 4 of us we had to fight who had to ride it on the trail. In the Mnts wouldn't hold a sidehill coming down. front end fell into everthing and had to throttle up to keep it straight otherwise the back end will pass you on the steeper stuff. Climbs like a billy goat and works very well going up, too bad you have to come down after. Good power, clutching. Not so good milage, rear skid ride (brutal) and I can't stand up all day.

There is a guy on the RX-1 forum that had a REV 800 last year. He is a high milage guy and 60 years old. He had to sell the sled because the forward position caused medical problems with his wrists. He now has a Warrior and 1800 miles season, with no problems. He also has a buddy that had the same thing happen. Oh, and he likes his Warrior much better than the REV.

Well this is always a danger area--OPINION

Let me first say i am not 60 or looking for a cruiser;

I have been riding and racing for several years, and spent a "little" while on a rev 440 mxzx, and only a few hours on a 600 ho
Negatives:
Does not "self correct" like a Yamaha
If a big bump sneaks up and your on the seat--compression in a big way
steering is over responsive
can not stear with the rear
no fun at top speed
Center of gravity is odd

Positives:

If you spend some time on , and hit a mogul run you will be very impressed--
Less abusive than yamaha suspension (frontorrear)
HP on 600 will hang or beat STOCK viper700
Your spine is in a better position, and will thank you--if not today some day

Again, This point can be argued, and is based on your riding styles. I have spent 20+ years on yamahas from racing SNO X several times to thousands of miles-- hard trail riding.
Would I buy a rev vs Yamahas current line up ---I may, but would prefer a yamaha designed "firecat"---but I will have to see what Yamahas new 4 stroke looks like, because They are done with 2 stroke power,and the new 4 stroke WILL be lighter, and have a new suspension.

Many people on this site are not open minded enough to respond to this question.
I will say this: The REV was sold before anyone sat the butt on it---simple marketing, NEW, DIFFERENT, AND BLAIR IS ON IT...They did there homework, and problems were minimal.

Currently I am in the market for a new sled, I have a 97 700sx with 6500 miles and still runs great. I would love to buy a new Yam, but when you talk to the Rev guys it makes you think. They say "you will go looking for rough trails to ride" I find that hard to believe, no matter what sled im on.

If it's true, where do I sign?

I know on my SX when the trails get rough I can hammer down and it's not to bad, but I hate ridding like that, is this what they are doing on the Revs?

At first the position seems quite akward, but the more you drive it the better it seemed, it does handles the bumps better, but nothing like the way some of the guys brag them up. The steering seems too responsive and in certain trail conditions its quite scary becasue you always seem to be correcting it, from side to side. The 600 HO has some bite to it, and I must say the sitting position allows for much easier steering, but like I said in some conditions it's too light. Like most high HP twins it likes to drink the fuel. In my opinion the sled was nice, it didn't live up to all the hype for me anyways, to be honest I was glad to get back on my SX 700, the feel and the sound of the triple still gives me goosebumps every time I ride it, haha

My cousin bought an '03 Rev 800 sport. It did ride nice, but I kept having flashes of my knees smashing into the cowl upon impact of something immobile...

The power of the 800 is great, as snappy as a stock viper, but more grunt. He averaged 8mpg, it was his second day of riding it. With a 10 gallon tank...no thanks!

I did get a chance to jump the thing, about a 4 foot high ramp of sorts into softish powder. This was march 1st last year...

I thought the ride was very cushy, I liked it! But then I turned around and bottomed it out on every jump...It wasn't set up for my weight, sure, but the bottoming must be controlled before you can asses the quality of the ride! I'd imagine if you jumped up the preload to get rid of the bottoming, the ride would suffer, just like 'old' Yamahas.

The turning radius was excellent.
The ergos were racer wannabe, with poor wind protection. I wouldn't recommend it to a high milage sledder! The GSX line looks a little better to me, maybe I'm old er something? :lol:

Personally, I'd take a Viper over hte rev, it does what I expect of a sled.

REV

I went and did it traded my 01 SRX 7 for an 03 600 rev sport with RER. Got to ride it in some rough ditches for about 70miles. I have been on an srx for 3 years so this was quite a switch. I'm forty something and also still ride a 426F in the woods and on a track now and than so the switch to the new seating position was not a problem. For the bumps no comparison the thing gave you so much confidence that I found myself overjumping holes on the back side of drifts, had a ball with the thing, actually looking for bumps and drifts to play on, the thing is soo smooth.
Likes- light weight great on bumps and jumps, closest thing to a dirt bike I've ever ridden on snow, reverse is nice without sacraficing weight, and pretty good snort for a 600. Definitely no 700 SRX. Handle bar controls are great don't have to take hand off bars to get to handwarmer switches. Less tiring to ride. Windshield better than std. SRX(which wouldn't take much) but still not great.
Dislikes- Precision ski's push really bad in loose snow( of which most of our riding was in). Actually has me considering buying some C and A's, Although I'm told they work awsome on hardpack or ice with decent carbides. Definitly doesn't carve like a yamaha, maybe new skiis or more suspension adjusting will help just got and rode stock. Poor fuel mileage, first ride averaged 8 mpg not good when you only have 10.4 to draw from hope it gets better. O3 model is harder than most to stud, have yet to do it but have read numerous posts on it being a big pain. Dove tail is probably going away although I stayed dry where my Yamaha buddies had wet butts.
Not sure I call it dislike but when you back off throttle the thing almost stops, Yamaha's coast for ever. I need to get used to rolling in and out of throttle.
Bottom line, would I trade back right now, no, absolutely not, had a blast. We have yet to ride the river where I know I'm going to get drilled in the wide open and big corners. But for now I'm looking forward to rough trails and ditches like never before. It would be great to have both and ride one in the ditches and one on the river or groomed trails. Oh, I also still have an 01 SXR 6 in the garage if the Doo lets me down.

used to be on a 700 sx and now on a renegade 800 and love it.

TEE- what is the track tension like? I noticed the same thing today

Dan

Ride on Rev

Don't want to turn this great site into a doo site. Don't know yet on track tension, thinking about beaver tail delete kit as checking track tension right now you have to lift from running boards. Hope to ride again this weekend should know more after a couple more rides. Like to visit this site for good info, still own SXR 600. For Ski Doo found sight called Doo Talk similar format as TY but I don't think it is as well established. Thanks TEE

REV

I saw a few REVs last winter while riding in northern Wisconsin.
Personally, I think they are UGLY!
Also, I think Doo could have done a better job with the fit and finish on the a-arms. The production sleds look like the a-arms were some kind of rushed prototype. Look at the a-arms on the RX-1, smooth and clean, look at the ones on the REV; big, bulky and just plain ugly looking.
I noticed that all the REVs I saw had a major problem with darting. With the weight centered towards the front this isnt surprising though.
I also dont like how the windshield turns when you turn the handlebars. Does Doo actually think that this is functional?
The sad thing is, both Cat and Polaris are starting to make sleds that are very similar to the REV.
Also, due to the stand-up riding style of the REV, you had better be in shape otherwise your legs will be hurting come the end of the day.
I personally dont think the REV will be a lasting design. In a few years something better will come along and the REV will become obsolete.
I dont see the casual trail rider buying a REV. Its more for the sno-x wannabes.
I dont know about the rest of you, but Ive noticed a trend of the OEMs trying to model the new sleds after motorcycles.
When the RX-1 first came out I looked at it from the side and though (its an R-1 with a track and skis.)
Is it just me, or do the rest of you see this too?

I had a Rev 600 for two days just to try it. I found the seating position real aggressive but that also matches my driving style. Bumps were soaked up with ease and corners felt like straight aways. Ditch banging was fantastic but dont get it stuck. The back grab rail is so low that if you do get stuck you have to dig it out just to grab it. I hope you have a good back cause the bar is so low that you have to get on your knees to lift it. If you are a distance rider then this sled is "not" for you. Gas mileage is horrible. For every $20 I put in the other guys were putting in $10. Top speed was not the greatest but acceleration was fantastic. High speeds were scary on this sled. The sled darted and twitched like a salmon coming upstream. If your looking for a quick short distance bump soaking up machine and you own shares in an oil company then this sled may suit you fine. If your looking for a distance sled then stay away. I rented this sled for 2 days just to see if I would like it. It cost me 100. per day but it was worth it to find out if I would really like it. A one hour ride on one would not give you a true feel for the machine. Blah blah blah....just my opinion.

Ride safe...Steve

I like the idea of renting before you buy just to find out if you would be happy or not, but when it all comes down to it nomatter what the big 4 say about thier products it all depends on you , your riding style and whats comfortable to you. For me I love my 97 vmax 700 but thier are a few things I will be looking for if and when I go to buy a new sled and it won't have a thing to do with what other people say or what the manufacturers claim,,, it will be the sled that fits me the best!!! You never know it might be a rebuilt 97 sx 700,,,hahahahaha

Back