definition of stock

Constip8r

Lifetime VIP Member
ok guys bear with me this might be a long one.

what is your definition of a stock sled? i would define it as everything in the motor is what would have been put into the motor when it came off the assembly line. Also I would consider clutching to be ok, because that is not the motor. i would say though that adding aftermarket pipes, and reeds or anything aftermarket in that sense kind of throws the "stock" term out the window. Am i crazy for thinking this?

as a tech guy ...........stock refers to every thing on the sled the way it came from the factory aside from clutching gearing and jetting anthing else in my book is considered improved .........not when stock class drags ETC.....adding extra wheels and such to the rear skid would be allowed

the low down

ok so i am not crazy, ( or atleast not the only one crazy hahah) Im sure there will be some other opinions popping up, which is good, thats why i asked the question.

The reason why i asked the question is because a kid i graduated with wanted to race me with his dads 98 xc 700. now before i get any further i know these are fast machines in the right hands, im not ignorant with this one, im always looking up sled performances and stuff of that nature, but the thing that bothers me is that one moment he says that it is stock, and has clutching, but the next moment he is saying that it has WIESCO pistons (which i know are not a big deal, but still not stock) V force 3 reeds, a boost bottle, and MBRP trail can. m still going to race him this winter, but i thought it was shady that he talked up his dad's "stock" sled when its not, or at least in my opinion it is not.

Weisco not being stock is splitting hairs if you ask me. Same bore, same stroke I would call stock. V force reeds/ aftermarket can...not so stock.

LOL! After years of racing...I have found that some peoples claim of "Stock" means it still has one original decal on it!!!!!!!!!!
But in reality Yamaha Nutz pretty well said it all...although most successful racers have blue printed their engines by ensuring squish, port heights ect are exactly to stock tolerance limits.

'' STOCK '' BECAME A DIRTY WORD ALONG TIME AGO. ANYWAYS WIESCO PISTONS ARE ALLOWED BECAUSE THEIR CONSIDERED OEM REPLACEMENT. I KNOW WHO CARES. THAT POLARIS AIN,T BEATING A GOOD 01 SRX. TELL HIM HE NEEDS MORE THAN REEDS AND A AFTERMARKET SILENCER . 3:16 (yammie tony)

Last edited:
well we are going to put some money down to make this race interesting, ill make sure someone records it, win or lose the video will be up this year (unless he never makes it out to the lakes...) he says the lakes are garbage, and he would rather ride in the U.P. only time will tell, thanks again for your guys opinions

Seen the head to head match ups for yrs never see many grudge matches be posted up with vids. Bring it we all wanna see it.

Back