Need help 1986 phazer

YZViper366

Lifetime VIP Member
Hello got this phazer I got it running and it sounds real good at idle but I can't get it to rev passed 4000 to 4200 rpms it barely will engage and move. I cleaned the carbs put a new stator in it anyone have an idea of what my problem could be. Any help is appreciated. I have a video of how it runs I will post the you tube link so you can hear how it sounds.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AuvsRmdoqCw

take the belt off and see if the primary clutch closes. i did not see it move in your video and have had one stuck on a sled that sat for a bunch of years.

I had it running a couple days ago and it will rev up passed 400 with the belt off and the clutch does engage with the belt off. It seems like only under load the sled won't rev up passed 4000.

with the rear suspended, can you turn the track by hand with the secondary clutch? might have some bad bearings in the drive train.

I think I have ruled out the drivetrain. I lifted the back end up and track spun but would only rev to 4000 maybe a little over. So I took the belt off and reved it up and did the exact same thing. Could it be a carb setting? Maybe coils or cdi? Here is another clip

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RF5lQte0bT0

See if it will rev with the exhaust pipe off. If it will your pipe is plugged (mouse nest or something).

If that doesn't change things I'd be looking at crank seals.

opsled

See if it will rev with the exhaust pipe off. If it will your pipe is plugged (mouse nest or something).

If that doesn't change things I'd be looking at crank seals.

opsled

Ok tried it with no pipe and same story. It slowly went to 4300 I guess but that is it...

Anything else I should check before I jump for crank seals? My dad gave me the sled and told me the bottom and top end we're brand new and he couldn't figure it out why it was doing this but it could very well be the seals were put in wrong idk?

Also if u do think I should change the seals can you give me a quick how to I have never changed crank seals on any sled before.

Much appreciated

Thanks

Have you tried running it on one cylinder at a time to see if there is a difference? From the video's it sounds like you may only have one cylinder making power.

Assuming you have fresh gas, clean carbs (sync'd) and good plugs/spark a few things come to mind that caused similar problems:

Choke cable on one of the carbs is too tight or one choke not seating.
Float needle is leaking for one of the carbs.
Rubber plugs in the float bowl are in the wrong locations for one carb.
One of the reed valves is damaged or not working properly.

No I have not checked that I will take a look at all those things as well this week. Thanks much appreciated.

What size main jets do you have in there? Temperatures are a lot warmer still than what winter brings so it could be something simple like that. Phazers are pretty finicky on jetting. I was always changing mine back in the day.

Back