SRV oil tank?

Canvsbk

1st post but have a zillion questions. I’m trying to breath new life into a ‘85 SRV 540. I have all the mouse chewed wires fixed and the carb cleaned up nice. When I fired it yesterday after it idled a bit (at 2800 rpm - too high?) the oil light started to flash and then remained on. The sled shut down at that point.
There’s about an inch of oil in the tank - do you think that’s the issue or could it be something more difficult?
Thanks for the replies.

you need oil over the sensor in the tank. usually it will shut it down to save the motor when working properly.

new engine build or just firing one up that has been sitting for awhile, i always premix the 1st tank of gas between 150-200/1 mix just to make sure it has some lube in there.

idle does sound a bit high. have you checked the crank seals/carb boot while it is running with brake cleaner or ether to check for air leaks from those places? that can cause a high idle as well.

added a pint of oil to the tank - that did it.
As it warms up the idle increases. Don’t know how high it goes as I shut it down at 3000 before it just takes off. The boot to the air box is tight. Not sure about my next move at this point.
It hasn’t run in a couple years - I pulled the plugs and squirted in some 2 stroke oil then turned it over slow a couple times and let it sit over night before I fired it. Seems like it could be a decent ice fishing sled but the real problem is I’m no gear head.

ok. put the rear of the sled on a stand/block of wood and start it. then take a can of brake cleaner/ether and spray down in behind the clutch, into the recoil and around the carb and intake while it is running with the air box installed. if it picks up/gains more rpm when you do this, there is an air leak that is causing your higher idle that needs to be fixed before it leans out too much and blows up the motor.

if the rpm does not change when you do this test, you then need to turn down the idle using the screw next to the throttle cable on the carb to about 1000-1500 rpm.

Back