Oil Injection Delete - 1979 Enticer 250

czarne10

Just want to remove the oil injection. All lines are dried out and have crumbled into the belly of the sled. I'm replacing all gas lines. I'd rather use premix versus replacing all the oil lines and the oil tank.
So can I just leave the oil pump in place as it came stock? The screws are badly rusted and difficult / impossible to get to.
I know how wonderful the carb swap-out is that everyone does on these 250's; however I don't have money to spend on a carb unless this original one proves to be toast. Before the mice moved into the machine 3 years ago, this 250 was always the most dependable sled (in our family) for over 30 years.
Thanks for any help,
-Matt

Personally I'd hook the oil injection back up. But if your going to delete it the pump can stay on. Plug the oil at the engine and run 20 to 1. People will tell you 50 to 1 ECT but your injection ran as rich as about 16 to 1 at wot. The oil lubes everything, cleans and cools so the more the better. In a properly tuned and running engine you won't have any problems fouling plugs . Have fun with your sled those little et 250s were good fun little machines

Personally I'd hook the oil injection back up. But if your going to delete it the pump can stay on. Plug the oil at the engine and run 20 to 1. People will tell you 50 to 1 ECT but your injection ran as rich as about 16 to 1 at wot. The oil lubes everything, cleans and cools so the more the better. In a properly tuned and running engine you won't have any problems fouling plugs . Have fun with your sled those little et 250s were good fun little machines

20:1? Really. I have run all my 250's at 50:1 with no problems.

20:1? Really. I have run all my 250's at 50:1 with no problems.
Agree. I run my race SRX at 36:1 and that turns 100100 rpm and my race Ex 440 at 36:1. I run my 78 SRX at 40:1, where Yamaha recommended 15:1.
The oils today are much better than the oils back then. You’ll be fine at 50:1 but if you want extra security go 40:1 with a good quality oil like Yamalube.

You dont need to spend money for Yamaha's name on the oil, Fleet and Farm store should have a good semi synthetic for a good price. Just make sure it meets all the cold weather requirements.

Maybe I'll hook the oil lines all back up AND run 40:1 in the gas tank until I can verify the oil is decreasing in the oil tank.

One word of caution, too much oil can interfere with the cooling effect that gasoline provides, and can be a risk if you run it hard.

If you rebuild the oil injection plumbing and grease the pump drive gears, it should work fine. The oil injection in the ETs is basically bulletproof. All of the parts are still available to replumb and re-clip the oil lines.

Back