race srx 780

staggs65

been sitting on the fence for a while now on wether I wanted to keep this sled trailable or just go all in and make it a race sled. well I've finally made up my mind and race sled it is.
here's some pics of it in trail trim @ some grass drags. (near sled)
srxwaldoboro.jpg

srxwaldoboro2.jpg

some of you have probably already seen those pics in the racing section.
a bunch of changes are going to be in the works but everything hinges on this: My plan has been to run a set of Jaws pipes I picked up. I thought I had it sorted out what these are exactly but there's now some question again. I need to figure out the exact rpm these pipes were meant to run and if these are their bigbore or 700 pipes. here's a pic if anyone has any insight
168-1.jpg

I've tried contacting Jaws but never get an answer. not sure if I have the right contact info. more to come

Those pipes will work with the big bore.I believe srxmagic's old sled which nos-pro owns is a 780 and i think there jaws pipes.I think it made a 196hp with lectrons.
Take those heavy steel bumper supports out and put some aluminum viper one's in there.

Take those heavy steel bumper supports out and put some aluminum viper one's in there.

I'd like to do whatever I can to lighten it up. how about coolers. if I'm just racing and using a coolcart I wouldn't think I'd need all of them. still want it safe for 1000ft runs though

I didn't run any tunnel coolers on my old imp srx 600.I would recommened keeping them on though.
You can make some aluminum radius rods cheap.Just turn some down on a lathe and use heim jointsGut the seat.Put a 1 gallon fuel cell inside your tank.Chop off your ears on the caincase cover,chop out the mmiddles of the bar clamp,chop off the the parking brake mechanism on the bars.Thers many more just need to think,lol

Can't wait to see in race trim. I am looking for ways to lite my sx up.

hey Joe, sabattus grass drags are supposed to be first weekend of december. won't have this sled ready but might have the wifes viper ready in time. you should try to make it.

engine is torn down and ready for some tweeks.
008-3.jpg

it's amazing how grungy things get after just 1 year
010-4.jpg

switching over to black plastics so all the blue will be coming off, and I'll get things cleaned up again then. more to come

thinking of stripping any non-essential wiring and electrical. anyone know what can safely be removed? I would think the lighting, and handwarmer stuff could go, just not sure if that wiring is shared with anything else that cant go.

Hey Staggs, I realize this is a "critical part" of the rebuilding process but, just be careful to not get too many of those blue cans (in the top pic) involved in the "race setup". Don't want to take a bunch of weight off the sled only to add it to the pilot. LOL ;)!

Jeff I see you decided to step it up a bit!!! Did you get any info on those pipes? Do you have a high rpm cdi? Let me know how you make out with this package.

Dan

Back