Finally got a Yamaha...

Sled has been plenty warmed up when behaving like that. Speedometer is smooth. I re-packed the speedo side bearing before last "season". Winter sucked last year.

FWIW, I just ordered a couple of new 8CJ belts because I have more money than sense (that reflects VERY poorly on my sense). I know it won't do anything to the drag situation, but wondering if it will help the high revs at low speed condition. Going to first try a thorough cleaning of the clutch faces to see if that has any effect.

I have a 2001 Venture 500 2up also does not do much till almost half throttle. I also did the Viper reed upgrade it did help some. My carbs were so dirty did not know till I removed the air box there was belt dust coated the carbs IMG_7768.JPG also I have a question for you what is the max RPM you see when at WOT mine only sees 5,400 RPM's at WOT and everyone says that is not right.

Yes, the viper reeds help. I have to re-clutch my sled because that and the tempaflow, it overrevs big time.

Johnny,
Absolute everything in those carbs need to come out and torn down to parade rest. Scrutinize every part and orifice. Jets w/ a lighted magnifying glass. If the intakes look like that... the fuel side has been severely neglected as well. Top hat need replaced along w/ the seats.

As far as RPM's go, with current setup it settles at around 8000 at WOT. That is a bit high as I believe the stock setup should be at 7800.

This sled does accumulate belt dust in the carbs very quickly - I fully cleaned my carbs back in the fall of 2015, and there was PLENTY of belt dust in them. Rode very little that season or last year. When I cleaned them out again last month, they were pretty well loaded up again. Not even 50 miles later.

Something really wrong there. I don't have much rubber dust on my clutchs after 2500kms. Never even seen rubber dust in my carb intakes.

As far as MY sled goes, I have never had THAT much belt dust in the carb throats! But what I've seen is more than I would expect to see, since I do have the full stock intake system in place.

Johnny,
Absolute everything in those carbs need to come out and torn down to parade rest. Scrutinize every part and orifice. Jets w/ a lighted magnifying glass. If the intakes look like that... the fuel side has been severely neglected as well. Top hat need replaced along w/ the seats.

That was last season the guy I bought the sled from said he cleaned the carbs so I never checked. And I was having all the fuel drinking problems I couldn't believe what I saw when I removed the air box those have long been cleaned and sled runs great now. I'm just not seeing the RPM's at WOT like I should and it's been like this since I bought it but now that I hit a stump last Sunday and bent all the suspension on the left side not so much worried about the clutch. Looking for some parts on the cheap to get it back on the trails. IMG_8714.jpg But anyone have any idea why I'm not seeing the RPM's at WOT that I should be what clutch would be the problem I also installed a new Yamaha belt end of last season.

primary clutch needs to be taken down at the least and a new spring in it with all parts cleaned and inspected. that much belt dust is bad. never had that problem on my sx 500r until we long tracked it to 136. fixed the belt breaking/burning problem by going to 8dn on that sled. that much dust in the air box tells me there is big problems in the clutching.

So I played around switching belts today:

89L - belt I've been using - lots of revs at low speeds, seems to be slipping at takeoff. Not many miles on this belt.
8CJ - brand new OE belt - grabs well at low speed/takeoff, but sled won't upshift...like AT ALL
8DN - Grabs well at low speed, but upshifts too quickly and the motor just bogs.

Amazing that all three of these belts behave completely differently, but not a one performs as it should.

Any ideas?

Have the primary & secondary springs been replaced w/ new? If not, that is where I would start. This is provided the previous suggestions have been done.

I’ll more than likely get flamed for this.......but, I’ve had very good luck w/ Carslisle Ultimax belts.

Anytime a track is lengthened, gear reduction is almost all the time required. I’d would drop yours to a 21/39. The 2000 Venture 500 is 19/39 stock.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Both springs have been replaced, and most of the components in the primary replaced.

I'm starting to get the idea that trying a non-Yamaha belt might be the play, since the behavior of the sled is so wildly different with the belts that I have.

Track length on my sled is stock.

Old post and off topic but do you have any pics of the whole machine, I’ve been looking for pics of a Vmax with the factory Yamaha 2up seat and backrest like you have

Just wondering how do you tell if they're all shot or not. Gotta get into my clutching and have no idea how to tell what's good or bad.

Sled is actually partially disassembled as I am in the middle of replacing driveshaft bearings and looking for any other sources of "rolling" resistance. I do not know if this is going to solve my problem. I am actually probably going to sell the sled after I get it back together. Need space AND some cash.

Back