Tunnel guard lenght

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
Has anyone ever run your tunnel protectors the whole way to the front on the chassis? I bought some generic ones years ago when I studded my sled but I have some pretty good scratches in the tunnel right above the axle. I'm going to pull the plastic ones out and get a couple pieces of aluminum square tubing and use then to help stiffen up the chassis,after I get the damage repaired,but is there a drawback to running full length protectors?

I should add that I did run my sled for a season or two before I put the protectors in so I'm not 100% positive the damage wasn't done before hand because there isn't hardly a mark on the plastic protectors. As the pictures might show the damage is worse on one side than the other.
d7b0aabfb4b2eda591474886ba584116.jpg
b11afd07fb41825b1e4ab27b3b16685f.jpg
cd84b52d71ca38a9da439d2e01862442.jpg

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Hi -

I am wondering what you determined / found out regarding how far the tunnel protectors need to go, and what caused the damage.

I just purchased a 2003 VMAX 600ER that is in great condition, but does not have studs or tunnel protectors. I am in the process of installing tunnel protectors and studs - I am running the protectors all the way up, just short of the chassis (1-2" short of where the bend begins). I am using the full length of the Garland tunnel protectors that Dennis Kirk sent me. I looks to be pretty tight up there, and it appears that lugs in line with the windows may be going up into the channel of the protectors slightly (not sure if that is a problem or not). I am guessing I would rather have the track hit the protectors, than studs hit the tunnel.

Anyway, I am curious about what you found out...I'm hoping to not make a mistake (this is the first sled I owned).

Thank you!

Back