New to me toy.

Just welded up the W frame. I gave up on the idea of welding on 1inch angle irons, and a cross brace. Too much work for an already old rusty frame. So I kept it simple and welded on every crack, then passed two more beads on either side. I went all around the sameway. Then painted the welds and bare steel with Tremclad paint I had leftover. Next year I'll buy a new one. For now it's better then it was.

Attachments

• DSC_1085.jpg
    DSC_1085.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_1084.jpg
    DSC_1084.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_1086.jpg
    DSC_1086.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Sanded, washed, dried, and painted my exhaust with two coats of barbecue paint. Tomorrow I pick up my last parts order of rear suspension bushings, and reassemble everything.

Attachments

• DSC_1109.jpg
    DSC_1109.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_1110.jpg
    DSC_1110.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_1117.jpg
    DSC_1117.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_1118.jpg
    DSC_1118.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 27
Thanks.
I'm anxious to drive and feel the final product. I can see the end in sight.

Attachments

• DSC_1119.jpg
    DSC_1119.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Drove out to the city to pick up my order of bushings this morning. Almost done assembling the rear skid.

Attachments

• DSC_1133.jpg
    DSC_1133.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 38
Maybe you should put in a more capable rear shock in it since you have it apart. An SXR damper maybe?

Maybe you should put in a more capable rear shock in it since you have it apart. An SXR damper maybe?

If my shock was finished I would certainly do that. But being under budget I can't warnt it if mine is still good. I appreciate the suggestion though. I'll keep a look out for deals on them. Thanks.

Chaincase is all closed up and filled with synthetic gear lube. Changed the rope in my pull start as it was fraid then lubed and installed it. My electric starter motor is scewed so I removed it, as well as the battery and tray. Save on weight. Also reinstalled my freshly painted exhaust parts. Looks so much better then before.

Attachments

• DSC_1160.jpg
    DSC_1160.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_1159.jpg
    DSC_1159.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 38
Took apart my primary clutch. Bushings and guides have wear but are surprisingly healthy. Probably 50% worn. Rollers have no flat spots and only a little play, as do the weights. Still usable for one more season. Cleaned it, reassembled and installed. Checked over the secondary it's about the same. Next season I'll do a full rebuild on both but for now, I'm not worried. Belt is still within yamaha specs as well.

Attachments

• DSC_1174.jpg
    DSC_1174.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
To my surprise my parts arrived at my not so near yamaha dealer today.Got alot of odds and ends finished up. Managed to reinstall the rear skid alone and reasonably quickly for my first time. Feels good. My 136" Cobra track looks awsome.

Attachments

• DSC_1179.jpg
    DSC_1179.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_1180.jpg
    DSC_1180.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_1185.jpg
    DSC_1185.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Thanks guys.
A few days ago I took apart my front suspension and lubed and shims things up. I noticed my skies being cheap Royal Distributing after market plastics were bolted more forward. What is the advantage or disadvantages to being bolted forward, middle or back ? Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_1202.jpg
    DSC_1202.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 29
More little odds and ends.
Had a small tear in one of my carb boots that connects to the air box. Luckily I have some hardcore rubber glue that fix that quickly then smeared some engine assembly sealant on the outside just in case. Now the air box is reinstalled. So the engine and driveline stuff and complete and ready for snow.

Also painted my hood grills with Tremclad flat black as they were a bit rusty and ugly.

I ve had a alot of people visit my garage and comment how clean and beautiful this old sled looks. A few have even tried to buy it! I love my sled.

Attachments

• DSC_1248.jpg
    DSC_1248.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_1246.jpg
    DSC_1246.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_1256.jpg
    DSC_1256.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Just ran my sled in the garage. Lifted the back end first. Started right up idle good. Test my speedo for the first time. It worked! Ran her up to 100km/h. Runs perfect. No weird noises. Track stayed streight. Reverse worked perfect. Now everything smells like two stroke! I missed that sound and smell.

Looking sharp Vincent! I love firing mine up in the garage. I use IPone so it smells like strawberries. It smells a lot nicer than other oils & your clothing smells a lot better! This year I'm lining up all 3 sleds, firing them up with door closed and then opening door so I can get some cool pictures of the 3 headlights in the smoke! Hahahaa! The wife will love me! Sent you another PM by the way...

Last edited:
With everything all put back together double check your reverse linkage so that the fork is centered in the spring collar. With the selector in forward remove the linkage from the chain case arm. You should be able to "feel" each side of the groove and have the fork be in the middle when you bolt the linkage back together again. If it's not and the fork is "riding" one side of the groove or the other it will create a lot of metal slurry fast in the oil.

With everything all put back together double check your reverse linkage so that the fork is centered in the spring collar. With the selector in forward remove the linkage from the chain case arm. You should be able to "feel" each side of the groove and have the fork be in the middle when you bolt the linkage back together again. If it's not and the fork is "riding" one side of the groove or the other it will create a lot of metal slurry fast in the oil.

Good to know.

Back