80 EX 440 Retro Mod Build

I would say no. The front of the SRX Hood is straight at the windshield an the Exciter is curved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally finished off the engine. New seals, NOS rings, milled heads, ceramic Y pipe and head cover. Also rebuilt the oil pump.
Ready to go in !!
935a0fc4f487c2d4e93756e4f23b7d28.jpg

Did you know. With the tiniest bit of grinding on the sides, HONDA CR 50 reed cages will fit in the jugs and you can get Boyeson reed petals for them? Way more flow than stock!

Hmmmm. Will have to pick your brain on that one. About 2 hours too late lol. Just got her bolted in
5e36b191c0a531964636afb74e138da9.jpg

If I pull it I would bolt a Phazer top end in to it and the reeds and really build a sleeper.

Yur still good to go. Like I said, TINY bit of grinding on the sides. After that its at best a 15 job from fully assembled to change the reeds. May not be the best but you do it in the chassis; plug the hole with a rag or something, throw a blanket over the rest and take out what is needed. I would give you the exact amount that has to be removed but I don't have my Honda reeds here to measure for you. My best memory is that about a 1/16th of an inch needs to come each side, barely. I picked up a set of used cages with reeds at a cycle shop and last I checked new Boyeson reeds for them were about $85.00 for two sets.

You can see how much wider they are than the yamaha cages. But that is not much material you have to remove. Most that space is just dead space on the yamaha. The Honda cage just fills that...and a wee little bit. I think it was Nutz that turned me onto that. With the gratitude.

Attachments

• IMG_0442.jpg
    IMG_0442.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0443.jpg
    IMG_0443.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 28
Very cool upgrade. Thanks for the info. I will source a set of those reeds and then do the retro fit Should really wake it up with the high comp heads

Well I don't think she'll hang a lickin on a fresh twister, but I don't know of any other 440 fan that'll come close. Ya, I went all "jabber, slobber, hoot" over putting Phazer jugs on top when I heard of that too. If you haven't ever seen that Exciter done like that, it's well worth a look. Airbox and all and it looks factory! I think I have the pic of it here someplace. I'd love to ride it!

After the reeds, if you really want to wake it up, put an Aaen pipe on it. I don't know if you can buy them anymore or not but if you talk to Olav he will design the perfect pipe for your use and sell you the parts quite cheap. I don't recall for certain so I might misquote here, but I think its good 10 to 15 more hp on the trail pipe! Whee!

Last edited:
"Doesn't boyseen make reeds for the excites? Why mod the crf cage?"

"Did you know. With the tiniest bit of grinding on the sides, HONDA CR 50 reed cages will fit in the jugs and you can get Boyeson reed petals for them? Way more flow than stock!"

I just checked and he still lists the pipe, though he no longer lists the hp increase. Maybe somebody else here can confirm or correct my quote. Its a bit pricey, but not to worry, Olav will sell the pieces so you can stick it together on your own and save some $$$$. At least he offered that to me last time I called. I need one, but its not going into an Exciter chassis. heh heh heh.

Last edited:
Finally got the engine in and mounted the hood and of course no spark. ;&,@,?
After a little head scratching. Turned out to be a bad stator. So apart she comes again. After an oil line leak and a bad tether switch it came to life and sounds good. Definitely more resistance on the old rope. A few minor things to finish off and I can kick it out of the shop. And then some test and tune miles. Should be a fun little sled.
Cheers !
9b9568d98157bc83a26055880f5461a5.jpg
a3361d9541c80ec48771729f8fd953d1.jpg
d9185b00c7803429e9864ef2816294b8.jpg
b0c3554c371226b56d10cde99c27067c.jpg
724a093973d259ebb5dc284d234a53cb.jpg
271be6d47c67d107f0767f3dc40e1980.jpg

Nice job on that project. Looks way nicer than the exact first sled I bought new in 79. Now you've made me miss it. lol 2 Thumbs Up!

Thanks. It definitely looks better on the snow Just need a whole lot more to try it out.

Back