SRX Project X7 *** Lives again!!!***

NOS-PRO

VIP Member
I remember seeing this sled through it's transformation back in the day.....but never expected to actually own the 1 and only...Project X7

If you remember the sled, have other pictures of the sled...post them here.

Ok, the story behind it...

Yes, I envied this sled when it was built years ago. Thought "Holy crap! What a wicked sled!" Through my 4 stroke years, I pushed out the 2 smokes because I was hooked on the 4 stroke technology and new age of snowmobiling......but there's that kid in me that wants that brapppity-braaap-braaap sound once in awhile.

Heard from a friend that he was selling a 1998 SRX 700....but this wasn't your ordinary SRX. He told me it has M10 suspension with a 2" long track, tall and lightweight suspension components in the front, all black but the Boss seat was gone. From what I was told he never used it....he bought 2 sleds as a package and this was one of them. I asked how much and if I could see pictures of it. Ended up buying it and started ripping into it. Found out good friends of mine purchased the SRX from Jeff who built it. Changed a bunch of stuff over to Hot Pink (Not my color), so the first to go were the Pink hand guards, the pink stickers, Pink windshied and pink grills.

The sled ran....but not the greatest as it sat for a couple years. Fuel poured out on the floor and the sled acted like she ran out of blood....

Took the carbs off, went thru them and cleaned all the gook out. Replaced the fuel lines as they were hard and broken. Checked all the reeds, did compression and put new plugs in.....with new fuel she fired right up and wanted to go!

The tunnel needed some new rivets, the skis were changed to white C&A Pro's and she was really starting to look good....except, no seat. Thanks to Mr Sled and the site, I was able to get a newer Apex seat for a great price! Purchased some aluminum and made a very stout seat brace/holder.

She is really coming around....lots of things I am doing differently, but all for the good :) This sled to me is a part of history that was created here on TY, sold thru 2-3 people and then found again! Would have been completely sold off for parts if I wasn't told about it first.

Attachments

• x7-1.jpg
    x7-1.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 20151101_140433.jpg
    20151101_140433.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 95
  • 20150426_155530.jpg
    20150426_155530.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 20151118_164916.jpg
    20151118_164916.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 124

See! This is why I love this site! Look at all the great people who have had their hands on this sled, seen this sled or remember this sled ;)!

This sled was built by user T.S.U. Films and have been getting some info from him about the sled.

Staggs - I heard you have the matching pink suit for the sled ;) LOL

Thanks everyone, it's been a joy working along with my boys to bring this sled back to life and give her some new makeup :)

Time to update.....

When the suspension was put in, the track must have been new and could be adjusted. Now that the track must be stretched somewhat....I adjusted the track but ran out of adjustment room.

Thanks to Todd at J&T atv, I ordered 9 inch rear wheels and it worked perfectly with the offset axle :)

The new seat needed a new tail light so I got a new LED one from Ebay and have it mounted to the rear of the seat so it hides a lot of the plastic. Thanks to TA Motorsports for the used tail light plug, I had it wired in no time.

Fired the sled up to check everything and the thumb warmer would not work....found it to be unplugged. Then the heated shield wire had no power.....ground was not connected. Lots of little things, but she is ready to pounce in some snow ....once we get some.

Time to update.....

When the suspension was put in, the track must have been new and could be adjusted. Now that the track must be stretched somewhat....I adjusted the track but ran out of adjustment room.

Thanks to Todd at J&T atv, I ordered 9 inch rear wheels and it worked perfectly with the offset axle :)

The new seat needed a new tail light so I got a new LED one from Ebay and have it mounted to the rear of the seat so it hides a lot of the plastic. Thanks to TA Motorsports for the used tail light plug, I had it wired in no time.

Fired the sled up to check everything and the thumb warmer would not work....found it to be unplugged. Then the heated shield wire had no power.....ground was not connected. Lots of little things, but she is ready to pounce in some snow ....once we get some.

Make sure you check clearance on full bottom out with those large wheels and the rear of the tunnel. Mine contacted the tunnel even with the small stock wheels, I had to lower the skid and tip up the rear of the tunnel to get enough clearance. From the pictures it looks like yours will hit for sure but I could be wrong.

I did some checking, even had the front end suspended while putting weight on the seat.

The shocks are at 3/4 max right now, seems to be ok.....but I am hoping for it to work.

Thanks Musselman

Update from Colorado....

The SRX was unstoppable in the 7-10 feet of powder and proved to be a machine not to mess with :)

Carve like no tomorrow, pull the front end and keep the front end lifted....felt like a stand up jet ski.

On the 4th day of riding, my son noticed a vibration and thought the rear idler fell off. Looked at the suspension....all was good. 50 feet down the trail and it almost threw himover the bars as the drive axle broke right in half...between the drivers.

The large wheels worked great and never rubbed or anything. Was the drive axle cracked before? Don't know but I went thru this whole sled and found some things that really should have been caught long time ago. (My bad for not going thru the whole sled).

On the M10 suspension, I believe the track gets tighter when the suspension is compressed so I need to leave the track a little sloppy for this. That may have been what happened to the drive axle snapping. I went thru the carbs, checked compression and clutching....but thought I would check powervalves after running it a little bit. When I took the flanges off, the mag side valve was up 1/8" too high, the center cylinder was all the way down and the pto side was 1/8" in the cylinder when powered up. First thought was "oh, great....the cable pulled thru" Nope, it was never hooked up. Powervalve looked like new yet, think whoever put it in had it on the cable but somehow came out.

Found a 10mm wrench down by the cltuching...thank god that didn't get caught in there somewhere.

Bolts were loose on the engine brackets, center to center was way too short and 2 bolts missing from by the powervalves.

Rear shock oil was not even funny.....it was bad. The center shock was almost to that point also. Cannondale redid the shocks now so it won't be like a pogo-stick.

All together now and I thought it ran good out in Colorado. It runs 10 times better now.

Back