600 Twin - Looking for better throttle response

Can you clarify this to me? You put sxv700 reed cages in a 01 srx 500, with the oem sxv700 reeds in it? Then you put in reedstoppers from which sled into it? SXR triple?
Viper or SRX reed cages, their reeds and stoppers(i.e.:the whole enchilada), will drop right into the 97 and up twins. No modification of any kind is needed. SX, SXR 5 & 600 liquid cooled twin cylinder. Don't know about the Phazer.
The red head motor will need some grinding done for them to fit.

Stainless stop/stops/stopper
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/yamaha/YP-8DJ-13616-00-00.html

Last edited:
I still run my 23/39 gearing and my neighbor runs a 22/38 and you can't tell the difference we ran side by side wide open last year just to see.

That's because the difference in the gearing is negligible.
22/38=1.727
23/39=1.696
-----
Diff 0.031
Probably should have only change the upper gear to make any difference.

I still run my 23/39 gearing and my neighbor runs a 22/38 and you can't tell the difference we ran side by side wide open last year just to see.

That is interesting. You run higher gears then my 700 triple Venture. (22/39) Another interesting point is how lower geared my brothers 600 triple is. (20/39)
Probably because the 600 trips have more revability in stock form then their twin counter parts.

Last edited:
Yes the triples are geared different form the twins because the do rev a little higher and a little more top end.
The venture is geared lower to compensate for the long track and extra weight of 2 riders.

Unless you plan on running long stretches of low resistance ice regularly you may benefit from gearing it down a bit. You would rarely find a situation that you could pull that gear all the way to 1 to 1

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Viper or SRX reed cages, their reeds and stoppers(i.e.:the whole enchilada), will drop right into the 97 and up twins. No modification of any kind is needed. SX, SRX 5 & 600 liquid cooled twin cylinder. Don't know about the Phazer.
The red head motor will need some grinding done for them to fit.

Stainless stop/stops/stopper
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/yamaha/YP-8DJ-13616-00-00.html

I had my wife 500 apart and was going to install the SRX 700 cages but I did not have the white inserts. I did notice the SRX cages have a bigger opening. Would that cause it to eat more fuel? And should you reed spacers even with the reed notch or SRX cages?

No spacers are needed w/ the notch. Make sure that the notch has no edges or points where vibrations can focus and fatigue the corner. All edges should be nice and rounded. Something like this. Notch goes up⬆️⬆️.
Gasket goes towards the case. No gasket is needed on the carb side unless you'd like. I use to do both sides but no longer do. I just use hi-tack on the carb side of the cage. I also use hi-tack on the boost bottle before I push it down and they get secured by the pressure clamps. Hi-tack is non hardening.
http://www.totallyamaha.net/threads/82664-Gasket-material?highlight=Gasket+material

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    31.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Chaincase with reverse only needs around 250ml of oil. Generally any 75, 80 gear oil is fine. Armsoil synthetics is very popular but many other synthetics can be used.

Last edited:
Digging in!! I have a mystery part. Anyone know where this bushing goes? Found it after pulling the chain case off the shaft. IMG_20151205_161326.jpgIMG_20151205_161022.jpg

Back