600 Twin - Looking for better throttle response

Sgtlange

Hey Everyone,

Lurker here with my first post. I picked up a 98 xtc 600 deluxe last year in pretty good shape. For this season i'm ready to tune it up and specifically looking for better acceleration. The sled currently dogs when I pin the throttle at low speeds. It doesn't bog the engine, it just doesn't have the response until mid - high range. I'm thinking of picking up the power up kit here - http://www.hauckpowersportsinc.com/pages/CustomCatalog/Product/1833. Is the kit worth it? or should I just look for the gasket and reeds separately? Does it need to run Premium after the gasket mod?

I'm pretty new to sleds but have been wrenching on two strokes for years. What about the clutch? Where to start for upgrades?

I'm also going to be going through a thorough maintenance like cleaning up the clutches, replacing the belt, clean the carbs and see what happens. The track is also shot so going to work on replacing that before the season really kicks off.

I've been reading through this forum for some time but have a tough time finding much info on these sleds. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

I had the same sled and i woke it up by doing the following mods. First was pick up a set of viper reeds and cages, they are a direct fit and work much better then stock. Then do the reed stopper notch to the reed fins. Easy to do with grinder and will get rid of the low to mid dead spot. http://www.totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/ReedNotch/Reed_Notch.htm. Second was a simple clutch kit By a great sled guy turk Going with the turk set up for 600 twins. A 50/44 helix (micro belmont) green secondary spring at 60deg, and 8AB weights with 2.4g rivets in all holes. That little sled was peppy as could be with just those two mods. I never did the thinned gasket as i was afraid of bad gad. But lots of guys do it and have great luck, just run premium. You just remove the middle layer of the gasket.

Here is the link to my 98 xtc redo. http://www.totallyamaha.net/threads/88678-My-ditch-banger-project! My buddies daughter still rides it today!!

Last edited:
Hard to find info on these twins. But I to have one except mine is 97 sx 600.
As for the power up kit you could spend $210 or do it yourself basically free.
1. Peal a layer off the head gasket and coat with copper gasket spray.
2. Do the reed stopper notch over in the tech section. Easy to do.
3. There are a few good clutch setups in the tech section as well.
Both the gasket mod and reed spacer or (stopper notch) really wake these little twins up.

Awesome Info guys thanks much appreciated. super1c do you have the Turk clutch setup info? Does he sell them directly or is it more of a guide and you buy the parts. Did you do anything to the carbs after the clutch mods?

Sounds to me your clutch bushings are shot and you need a new belt. My 600 would run alongside a 600 triple cat and a 600 v-max triple so you need to look at the clutch.

Turk was a former member who passed away a few years back. Lent a ton of info to site. Just built clutch kit piece by piece. No carb adjustments needed. As above a good inspection of clutches should be done. But all things good these 600 were dogs. That's why everyone came up with all the mods.

Cool i'm going to start tearing into it after the holiday. IF the snow stays around i'll report back after the reed mod and a good cleaning. I'm gonna look into the clutch setup and start picking up the parts. Are there any online retailers selling clutch parts or is this gonna half to be found elsewhere?

Last edited:
Close but the 50/44 would put you spot on.
Not much on those sites for Yamaha but its what I use the most as my dad has a Polaris he's always working on. I don't work on my sled as much as he does. Lol..
Bender, and Hauck performance would be best for parts. Some guys on here might even just have what you need.

Pretty much just slide and twist.
Not that its important but where in Michigan are you located? There might be someone here close to you that can help more by being there. But if not there's still lots of help here.

I'm in Fenton so south east Mich. Bout a half hour south of flint. My biggest issue so far is finding these parts lol. Anyone have any idea where to find some of them? Specifically the clutch stuff. I'm gonna search the postings here for the viper reeds, but if i can't find any for now i'll notch the stock or buy some carbon fiber ones. I'd like to get the clutch tuned up though since i'm going to tear it apart and clean it might as well throw some upgrades on there will i'm at it lol

Currently ISO Viper Reeds, Helix, Spring, and weights

Yes just the top. Notching the bottom wouldn't do anything for you.
Ok, that make sense, however the explaination in the tech section does not. The post in the tech section states this mod increases flow to the case which is incorrect. The correct theory would be that the notch increases flow to the boost port, not the cases.

Yes you are correct. That inturn creates better throttle response and fuel mileage because there is no wasted fuel just sitting there.

Back