Can you run a venture 500 without a battery?

norwegian

Hi
I bought a venture 500 with a bad battery that is now out. Can I run it without it? I am thinking that it will try to recharge the battery and there is no battery to recharge?
What should I do?

It just weighs a ton and the starter is dead as well. How do I prevent the sled from sending current to the battery to try to recharge it?

Where is the fuse for the electric starter motor? I want to pull it out, so it won't send electricity to lose wires if someone turns the key all the way.

If it's an sx based venture the 3 wires that go into the relay one of the reds is the power/charge wire and the other is power to coil for start. If you pull off the relay wire that goes down to the starter you should eliminate any risk of a hard arch.

I always wonder what kind of load a dead battery puts on a low output charging system when it's constantly trying hard to bring it up. With a good battery once the voltage is equal that load goes away. The sled just recharges the battery for starting purposes, it's not like a vehicle where all your electrical draw is from a battery and the alternator maintains the voltage level.

Is there a separate fuse for the charge and separate for the starter motor? Edit: now I think I understand more, I will look into it tomorrow. Thanks.

Last edited:
Where do I install the smoothening condenser on this sled? I can't see a plug for that anywhere.
I looked at the wiring diagram, there is no plug. How do I connect the condenser to the sled then?

Last edited:
Can I connect the condenser to the plus that charges the battery and minus to the grounding cable?

I am in a similar situation. That condenser is not cheap. It should be just a large capacitor right. If someone knew, or could get the value I would appreciate it. Sorry for the small hijack of the thread.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yea, no problem. What sled do you have? My problem is that the sled does not have a contact for the condenser in the wiring harness at all. A condenser you can find cheap on ebay, I think I paid like 18 plus shipping.

I have a 98 xtc 500 deluxe. I never looked any further into where too hook it up once I saw the price yamaha wanted for it. I would expect that it could be hooked across the battery terminals since it is performing the same function. I would imagine polarity would need to be observed. Was this a Yamaha unit you found on ebay or just a generic condenser. If the value was known it would not matter.

So the theory is, when running at high speeds, the stator makes more power than the sled needs and the surplus goes to the battery or condenser? If not, the the stator heats up and burns out?
This was a condenser off a 96 vmax, checked the part #, and it was the same.

I think it is more like the voltage produced is not clean 12 volts dc. It would have some ac in it. The battery or now the smoothing condenser helps to minimize the ac that is riding on the dc. That little bit of ac. Can be hard on electrical component designed for dc .

So what we need is a wiring adapter between where the terminal and the condenser. Is that right? Who can make one?

Back