Srx gas mileage?

What makes them expensive to rebuild? The fact that there's 3 of everything? The cylinders are plated too correct? That adds cost I guess???

they're really not that expensive to rebuild unless you would use all new OEM parts. Some parts can be re-used like pistons and gaskets if they're still in good shape. you can buy aftermarket or used parts to save on the rebuild cost too.

Last edited:

I only use oem Yamaha for Everthing...now that the cranks can't be bought from Yamaha I will have to seek elsewhere when my sleds time comes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello. I am new to this forum and new with snowmobiles. I have 97 mountain max 700 with slp pipes (was on snowmobile when bought it) carburators are jetted 150 mains 45 pilot, air screw 1.5 turn out. And I have very bad fuel consumption about 50 liters for 60 km.sled runs fine does not bog. middle cylinder spark shows good combustion( brown dry spark plug) outside ones little richer. no gas leaks. engine has 6700km. I would like to keep this sled an willing to put some money into it to make it run better. I assume that this is not normal consumption. what can I do to fix it. engine does not rev over 8000 rpm.
Thanks.

Hello. I am new to this forum and new with snowmobiles. I have 97 mountain max 700 with slp pipes (was on snowmobile when bought it) carburators are jetted 150 mains 45 pilot, air screw 1.5 turn out. And I have very bad fuel consumption about 50 liters for 60 km.sled runs fine does not bog. middle cylinder spark shows good combustion( brown dry spark plug) outside ones little richer. no gas leaks. engine has 6700km. I would like to keep this sled an willing to put some money into it to make it run better. I assume that this is not normal consumption. what can I do to fix it. engine does not rev over 8000 rpm.
Thanks.
Have you checked the reeds?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Hello. Yes. I changed them to yamaha ones when bought it. it was hard to start so I changed reeds all new and boots between air box and carburators.also cleaned carburators.starts good now. runs good, idles around 1700 rpm . when i bought it pto side piston skirt was broken on exaust side so it got new cylinder(used within factory spec) and new piston.Season is over so I can do whatever it takes to fix it.( have all summer)

Hello. Yes. I changed them to yamaha ones when bought it. it was hard to start so I changed reeds all new and boots between air box and carburators.also cleaned carburators.starts good now. runs good, idles around 1700 rpm . when i bought it pto side piston skirt was broken on exaust side so it got new cylinder(used within factory spec) and new piston.Season is over so I can do whatever it takes to fix it.( have all summer)
What's the clip position on the needles?

second from bottom. five positions available total. mowed them down from center because center cylinder would run lean. flaking white spark plugs. I guess i could move two outside ones back up to center position. they were running little rich. Could it double my fuel consumption?

Couple of things. First of all yes it can drastically affect the fuel consumption particularly idle to half throttle. Second there should be 2 plastic washers as shown in the manual below. Depending where you place and washers will affect the hight of the needle. I am at 1000 ft altitude so mine came set at 3.0. That is clip third from the top 2 washers below. I tried making it richer and it used way more fuel, bogged and the plugs were black.

If you do lean it out start in small increments and keep an eye on the plugs. Last thing you need is a meltdown. If you can't get to where the recommended position is for your altitude, could be sucking in air from somewhere else like carb boots or crank seals.

Keep in mind this is for a 2003 Viper, I'm not sure if SRX is the same, maybe someone reading this can jump in and say.
7d3393f5852e7a396e495d1a467ac472.jpg

Hello. thanks for reply and sugestions. I did not have any washers in my carburator, just circle clip just like in old 1979 polaris cobra(my first sled). I also downloaded manual online. it doesn't foul plugs doesn't bogg. i can go full throttle from any throttle position and it would rev up and go. I think I will tear engine apart to change all seals and gaskets.
will try to return it back to stock and then tune from there. i found written arctic cat on my secondary clutch.( sled wont rev past 8000rpm). Its 1997 red head triple like v max.
Snow is almost gone so I cant test now.

Hello. thanks for reply and sugestions. I did not have any washers in my carburator, just circle clip just like in old 1979 polaris cobra(my first sled). I also downloaded manual online. it doesn't foul plugs doesn't bogg. i can go full throttle from any throttle position and it would rev up and go. I think I will tear engine apart to change all seals and gaskets.
will try to return it back to stock and then tune from there. i found written arctic cat on my secondary clutch.( sled wont rev past 8000rpm). Its 1997 red head triple like v max.
Snow is almost gone so I cant test now.
Keep in mind needle position does not affect full throttle. While the flipper is to the bar the the fuel limiter is the main jet, the needles are pulled up all the way. It's in the first half of the throttle where the needle position makes the most difference, which is where most of our riding is done. That is why it has such a drastic affect on fuel consumption and plug color.

Talk to Yamaha dealer here in my town. I suppose to have different needles. I have to find out maybe previous owner install them as part of triple pipe kit.when I did try to look what should be carb settings for slp triple pipes it just show bigger mains #150 all cylinders # 45 pilot jets(stock size)

Burned 23 gallons in 160 miles on the Vmax-4, didn't care,, was racin Sidwinders on the river.

Wasting fuel is fun!!!!!!

opsled

thats like 87 liters for 250 km racing. I would make around 100 km on that amount of gas trail riding 60km/h not racing. Riding-riding fast is fun, not wasting fuel:)

thats like 87 liters for 250 km racing. I would make around 100 km on that amount of gas trail riding 60km/h not racing. Riding-riding fast is fun, not wasting fuel:)

Yea or a bit less than 7 miles per gallon. Was a hoot. Those winders are fast!! They would pull me in the straights but I could kill em in the corners. Top end was close to equal. Seemed like they only got so far out front and that was it.

Switched up with the one guy, I was impressed and so was he. The only fuel issues they had was waiting for me to top off the tank on mine.

Fun stuff.

opsled

Back