fan cooled sleds/rotax 503

Backwoods M Max

so I need some help with the leaf blower. I'm completely new to fan cooled sleds. I have a 99 skidoo formula dlx with the 503 fan cooled engine. It was given to me by my mother in law and is going to be my buddy sled. I had to rebuild the chain case then swap the caliper because a piston stuck and it ground off the rotor guide. I cleaned the carbs and got it running but it's being real fussy and won't come off idle without half choke. I finally got it to idle long enough (about 10 minutes) to warm up to where I had warm air coming out the air duct in the hood. I had to turn up the idle speed screws about 3/4 turn and then turned in the air screws from 2 to 1.5 turns. it will now idle at specified rpm (1650). but it still won't accelerate without choke.

Now I know we always say if it won't idle clean your carbs, clean your carbs, clean your carbs. I did what I would call a very good cleaning, but does it sound like I missed something or do these fan cooled sleds have a completely different personality from a liquid cooled sleds. The jets were clean and I got into the carbs as far as I could, but who knows what kind of crap is in there that I can't get to.

The back story on the sled is it has 9900 miles on it and my mother in law's family isn't well known for preventive maintenance. I know my mother in law has said things like we've never cleaned carbs or we just run things until it breaks around here (explains her 340 indy with a busted speedo and the flangette on that side is destroyed, my other project). It has been 5 years since the sled was ridden, it was never put away correctly and 3 years ago I at least drained the gas out of it but the carbs were never drained.

Should I just cut my losses and pull the carbs and go buy a chem-dip kit and dunk them then blow them clean with compressed air and hopefully I clean all the circuits out? I got the main and pilot jet clean, but that's far from getting all the ports clean that you can't see. Can I sea foam and drive it clean or is that a risk not work taking? I started with a dry tank and have 5 gallons of 91 no ethanol that it's running on right now.

Back