Pickup coil too far away from flywheel on RM Stator

drew24

I am working on a guys 99 srx. They replaced the stator with one from RM Stator and still couldn't figure out why it had no spark. When I got it I pulled the recoil off and noticed the pickup coil was about twice as far away from the flywheel as it should be. I pulled it and lined it up with one off my 99 and the one from rm stator was noticeably shorter. I put the stator from my 99 on it and now it runs perfect. Just curious if anyone else ever had that problem? Seems like a lot of money for something that doesn't work and I am sure since it is electronic it is not returnable. Thanks

The only way the pickup coil placement could be wrong is if the crankcase has been modified for a larger flywheel or the flywheel on the engine now is the wrong one.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Its the pickup coil from the stator they bought from rm stator that is the problem. It is different than the oem. I put the oem stator in it from my 99 after they brought me the sled and now it is good to go. Just makes no sense that they can sell something like that when it wont even work. He showed me the receipt and it says it is for a 98-99 srx 600/700. The gap with the rm was more than twice as much as with the oem.

If your looking for another OEM stator I've got the original from my '98.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
I am just going to let him keep mine. Thanks for the offer. I am not sure if this is a common thing with the ones from rm. I personally would rather use a used oem over aftermarket anyway.

I got a few stators from rm, all worked well, but there are two you can get a longer and shorter, did your buddy grab the short one?

Sent from my D5106 using Tapatalk
I have no idea. All I know is it said for a 98-99 srx 600/700. He will have to get a hold of them and see so I will relay that and he can ask them. Thanks

I'm thinking of ordering one from them for my Viper, but I'm hoping it's a chafed pick up lead, that or the magneto is alil rusty, second hand sled from a area they use salt alot lol

Sent from my D5106 using Tapatalk

I would stay away from anything but oem Yamaha. I have had several sleds in here for repair and diagnosis of non spark problems after the owners replaced stators.....all of them had the same thing in common, aftermarket stators with bad pick up coils!

I would stay away from anything but oem Yamaha. I have had several sleds in here for repair and diagnosis of non spark problems after the owners replaced stators.....all of them had the same thing in common, aftermarket stators with bad pick up coils!
I kind of figured this couldn't have been the only time this has happened. I knew they put in the aftermarket stator and when I got it that's the first thing I went for. I knew as soon as I pulled the recoil and saw the gap it was way too much. Thanks for the input.

Thanks for the info just changed the stator on a 98 srx, had to use the original pickup coil. Original was .65mm gap with spark. New one was 1.3mm no spark. Test ride today will know if the high rpm bog was caused by a bad stator

Back