SS 440 mod build up

MBtriple

So here we go again. Ive spent more time working on sleds this year than riding but don't seem to care somehow.

I just picked up an old ss 440 in need of some help. The engine in it now is a boat anchor but no worries, Ive got a fully rebuild 440 ready to bolt in. Came with another motor in pieces and a 540 top end but is in need of a lot of work. Carbs need a rebuild as well as every gas/oil line and bearing.

The plan is to get it running and then throw in a 121 or 136 skid as well as raise the front end a little. just a backup light sled to play around with!

I picked up an 02 zr 121 skid for $50. Not sure if im going to use it but it was cheap!

Anyone know the stock carb jetting? thought it was 135 mains but didint find pilots? Ive got one seized up carb and one extra good one in need of a new choke cable and plunger.

Pictures!

tonights progress

Looks like a cool project. I would like to go through one of these older sleds someday just for fun.

Great project!

Thanks!

got some more done. Stripped the sled right down and took it to the car wash to pressure wash it up.

Picked up a 128 x 1" track for $100 in awesome shape. since im lifting the back end up the approach angle was not going to be good with a 121 track. Now with the 128 it looks perfect!
just gotta throw in some 2" spacers up front to get the front up a little.

A little mock up until i get my aluminium plate to make some skid mounts

Also swapped over the coil, stator, flywheel and recoil from the old to the new one going in and installed new fuel/ oil lines.

Looks like a fun project. I remember when my buddy got one. The rest of us sure were jealous. That thing was pretty fast back in the day when a 440 was a big sled. It's crazy to think how fast a guy rode those older sleds with very little suspension.

finished up the front suspention lift to match

I also got the motor in and running well!

just had to pull the broken clutch bolt out of the crank that i found, not fun at all.

so it seems to run real nice but have a few questions.

I premixed up 5 liters so i could fire it up and help bleed the oil pump. the lines from the pump to the engine are full but from the tank to pump only a small amount dribbles along. This normal?

also it sounds great at higher rpm but when it idles down there is a lot of banging around coming from the clutch it sounds like. Any rebuild kits of parts for this available? its the yamaha clutch not the comet 102 unfortunately.

ill get more pics yet

That thing looks pretty good compared to the condition mine was in when I got it. I picked up an 83 as a cheap beater for my wife a few years ago but it got expensive quick.

IMG_20130818_124532_720_zpsd0949379.jpg

IMG_20131121_180039_072_zpse17fbbaf.jpg

Long boring build thread http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/threads/92300-Another-Yamaha-in-the-stable?highlight=yamaha+stable

That thing looks pretty good compared to the condition mine was in when I got it. I picked up an 83 as a cheap beater for my wife a few years ago but it got expensive quick.

IMG_20130818_124532_720_zpsd0949379.jpg

IMG_20131121_180039_072_zpse17fbbaf.jpg

Long boring build thread http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/threads/92300-Another-Yamaha-in-the-stable?highlight=yamaha+stable

Ya its pretty straight other than the running boards that are bent down. i need to brace it yet.

I read through all that to get some ideas. Looks great! I know im not going pogo just yet but someday possibly. I never thought of putting a new seat on it like that. Ive got one that i may thow on.

im heading to the sand hills saturday for a good days ride. Probably 60 miles lol, but no trails other than game trails occasionally. Taking the sxr and possibly my brother will ride this. After a quick test friday eiather way im taking it on its maiden voyage this weekend!

its almost as done as its going to get this winter. summer ill be taking it apart for paint and other little things

Need your address Bret so I can drop of the 90 Srv mod for the skid mod and to wider the front end and a price and I will ship out

Sent from my iPhone srv560mxz$600cat900

I havent updated this for a while but the sled was running great for the last 2 sesons! until the other day... Had a ring failure and down on compression on one side. I was 10 miles into a 20 mile ride and it still got me home with 75 psi in the stator side cylinder. i didnt know how bad it was until i got home and tested it.

so now its becoming a 540. Ive got all the cylinders, heads, reeds, clutching and jetting from when i bought the sled a few years ago so new pistons are on the way.

Im also going to cut in some more hood venting since i think the temps were part of my issue before.

Been a while. Finally made it look the part but kept it a 440. Turns out a 540 has bigger wrist pins and I didn't want to track down a new bottom end. Been a fun sled over the years and has gone places it shouldn't for sure!
It's pretty much going to stay this way and just maintain it.
I'm working on a 700 triple swap into a 1990 exciter and may run it late this winter

Back