550 polaris touring

captnviper

Lifetime Member
Anybody know any issues with these 550 fan cooled motors. I have read some people have had issues with mid range motor meltdown, nobody said what octane they where using and whether or not it contained ethanol. Any thoughts, experience, or links appreciated.

Well I think he lost the mag side cylinder, et the sled warm up for about 10 minutes took off and didnt get very far when it died. He was still able to pull it over but would only sputter pulled plugs thinking they might be fouled, they appeared to not be wet, looked closer and there was a couple tiny round pieces up in between the insulator and thread shank. I noticed his choke only flipped to the first notch, indicating to me that somebody had not adjusted them properly. So now I have been tasked with determining how this occurred and make sure it doesnt happen when i rebuild it. I want to take it part and not miss something because i took it apart before checking everything. Any and all help appricieated

just saw this old thread. I found a 1984 500 and put it in this sled, it made thru last season, fingers crossed on this year.

lol i was looking for a chassis to put the 340 motor into if the sprint one was not going to make it.

Back