What's 2017 Going to Bring?

2datrl

Well a few of the magazines have now speculated on what Yamaha and Yamicat might be offering, or not offering (Delta box) for 2017.
Anybody out there have any "facts" yet, or spy shots of something new?
2datrl

They have been beating this very subject to death on 4 stroke side. Everything from new 2 stroke to new apex with new design on viper. Even a snowbike. One thing we know is everything is very tight lipped this year. Nothing leaked, no photos and even Chris Reid is MIA! We will all know shortly after dealer release March 1st and public March 11th.

I think a new 800 vmax would be pretty sweet. After all they did bring back the phazer and the viper so why not the vmax!

I've also heard about a possible 2 stroke in the works from a friend who works for Yamaha. Fingers crossed.

Definitely would be cool to see a new 2 stroke. A slightly updated version of the viper motor with good pipes and fuel injection for better fuel economy. They could easily out do the competition on power and reliability with that old technology mixed with a little new technology. It will never happen but it would be cool. Not that I could afford one but in 10 years I would have one.

My source said two new models,one new utility sled(not a next gen bravo),and one all new high performance sled(should kick the current apex arse;)!is what the big dog told him),also these are pure Yamaha sleds from japan,no yamacat in these according to my source(partnership is on thin ice,waiting for the end of the 5 year deal)..Maybe one more model(new mountain sled?)but that's up in the air.What surprised me was the new apex,but its has more belief than a new Yamaha two-stroke.Can,t what to see march 1st.(And finally get the straight or crooked answer).

Last edited:
ill tell yeah what we will get!!! a brand new!! redesigned!!! SRX---120;):D

time to bring this gem out again

Last edited:
I would really like to see a new Yamaha chassis that is their own. What was the actual last chassis they made, the Nytro in 2008? Seeing a new one for the Apex and Vector would be nice, and NOT an Arctic chassis.... I would also LOVE to see a 2 stroke, but I don't really see them going back to it since they stopped so long ago in 2007. As much as I would like to see one, I would rather have none than using an Arctic Cat/Suzuki engine, it would be a whole Arctic Cat sled then.

Arctic cat showed their snow bike. I can see a wr450f version pretty likely. Every year i hear "i heard their coming out with a new 2 stroke"

Last edited:
Dealer told me the other day they will NOT be bringing back a 2 stroke. Why would they? They have the best fourstroke engine and will continue to push to make it better and possibly lighter. The gas mileage is incredible on the 4 strokes, not to mention they last forever! You don't have to adjust the valves until 40,000km!!!

people need to realize they still make 2 stroke snowmobiles just not here in the us and Canada>>they still make the tss suspension sleds too!!

http://www.yamaha-motor.ru/ru/products/snowmobiles/wide-track/vk540iv.aspx

I know that. But they arent designing new 2 stroke sled motors even though they have the technology. Arctic cat has already come up with their own engine design currently used in the 600 so you probably wont see a yamaha 2 stroke in one of then either.

Marriage over, don't think so. Check out their snowtrax interview. They flat out said there collaboration continues and "you haven't seen anything yet"...

Yep. Like Chris said earlier, this is being beaten like crazy in the non-smoking section. I would love to see a couple different engine offerings but honestly, as someone who has worked in a large manufacturing company for just shy of a decade I can tell you one thing; the business end is cyclical and follows trends- hence the capital projects tend to be put off (engine/model development) and companies focus more on quality improvements and cost savings. For instance, the trend this year is commonality and consolidation. Yamaha's current trend is utilizing existing powerplants (YXZ, SR Viper, Vector) across a spread of their product group. Being that they have the partnership with AC for the time being, and Viper sales have been pretty good. I know I see plenty where I ride- I would anticipate that there isn't all that much in store for us. Especially two poopy snow years in a row. My .02 FWIW

1) New graphics
2) New track length or lug height

= Bingo! A new model!

3) a new 2 stroke is never going to happen.

Last edited:

Back