Clutch rebuild questions.

phazerBILL

Going to rebuild my clutch on my 99 Vmax 500. Rollers are 30 dollars piece and weights are 35 bucks a piece for Geunine Yamaha OEM. That brings my total already to 200 bucks for just weights and bushings. Is there any other options out there for a better price ? I feel like If I ebay a used primary Ill have the same problem.

Thanks

If your simply dealing with worn bushings in the rollers and the weights, those are available separately and you can save some money. Do keep in mind there are special tools required to r and r the bushings.

If your parts are beyond bushing replacement, you will be miles ahead to spend the bucks on new. Think of the investment in dollars per mile and you may see things in a different light.

You can buy aftermarket but it doesn't last as long especially if you do alot of hard riding.
OEM is really the best way to go.

Beware of cheap parts. I have bought a SPI clutch kit in the past for one of my sleds.
Like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331763429144?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82
m4zgjCgAe6KuN4Zh8SU_Zcg.jpg

The quality of the parts were poor and the large bushing wouldn't even fit. I tried calling them and getting it straighten out. All they could do was send me a refund for the adjusted price of the bushing. I ended up having to get a large Yamaha bushing.
After running the sled for one season the small bushing wore out since it was a fiber materiel not brass like the original part.

Long story short, do yourself a favor and shop around and get only genuine Yamaha parts.

Note. If your weights are not too worn out you can use a jig like the one I made.
IMG_1322.JPG
It holds all three in place so you can grind them all evenly on a belt sander.
The other tools in this pic are for removing/installing the spider.
IMG_1318.JPG

Back