2001 MM700 speedometer not working.

Myfeetrock

Hey all! I've been looking through this forum for a few years now and thought it was about time to join. I have a 2001 mountain max 700 and the speedometer quit work at 4400 miles. I looked at many forums and saw a lot of people saying that if the cable was good then it was most likely the bearing going out. I also had a ratcheting sound I could hear at low speed. I went through the sled today and found the chain needed to be tensioned. I also found the bearings were fine. I did however find that when I pulled the cover off the drive, there was a shredded wire. I can't seem to find this part anywhere. Any suggestions? Many more post to come. Thanks all!

Attachments

• speedo1.jpg
    speedo1.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 17
  • speedo2.jpg
    speedo2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 12

Yes i had this problem a few times with these older Yamahas, that part is a speedometer key, you can buy them at any snowmobile dealer, they should know what you are talking about, You should be able to hook it out with pliers, I consider loosening you track tension and checking that left side bearing to make sure its ok, I had the exact same issue, thats usually why those needles break, either because the bearing is gone, speedo cable seized or check your speedo itself, it could be seized, thats what happened to mine, hope this helps

That is the speedo key. Basically a short piece of speedo cable with a stop in the middle. You will need a new one. You will want to determine what caused it to fail (likely the gear in the drive piece you took off. Also check the insert that goes in the driveshaft itself. You should be able to pull that "wire" out and insert it in the driveshaft (good end). As long as it goes in nice and doesn't turn once it is in, you insert may be fine.

Test the drive unit, speedo cable, and meter by turning the shredded wire (first like it is, and then with the cable reconnected. You should be able to spin it with your fingers. If not then you likely have an issue that caused the key to shred.

I was able to get the wire out, but the gear itself is seized up. I check the speedometer and it works. The bearings are fine, but I went ahead and bought a new set since I have it apart.

IMG_7618.jpgIMG_7619.jpgIMG_7620.jpgIMG_7621.jpgIMG_7622.jpg
That is the speedo key. Basically a short piece of speedo cable with a stop in the middle. You will need a new one. You will want to determine what caused it to fail (likely the gear in the drive piece you took off. Also check the insert that goes in the driveshaft itself. You should be able to pull that "wire" out and insert it in the driveshaft (good end). As long as it goes in nice and doesn't turn once it is in, you insert may be fine.

Test the drive unit, speedo cable, and meter by turning the shredded wire (first like it is, and then with the cable reconnected. You should be able to spin it with your fingers. If not then you likely have an issue that caused the key to shred.

Hi I have this exact same problem with my 2001 Venture 500 I have all the new parts the speedo key and the insert that goes into the drive shaft. Mine was not good and I need to get that part out of the drive shaft but have no clue how you go about getting it out. I took a bunch of pictures I have the secondary clutch off to get more room I also drilled it insert and screwed a self tapper in it to put vice grips on it to pull with but no luck.

Last edited:
I replaced the insert on one of my babies and I tried a screw like you have, also drilling it out, after all that I think I ended up tapping it further into the shaft, and just drove the new insert in over it.

Back