Should I Buy This Sled?

Toboggan

I know its not a Yamaha but lately I have been looking for a couch on skis for the wife to ride on. I have an opportunity to buy a 2003 Ski-Doo Legend with 8,000 northern Maine hard packed trail miles on it. The sled looks mint! Guy said he would sell it to me for $1,000. He said he needs money and he paid $1800 for it back in November. He said it came from an old man and it was stored inside. It has high mileage but is it a grenade? Here are a few pics... do I buy it? Blue book retail is $2,000 but that's retail and who goes by blue book right? It's a 600cc...

image1.JPG
image3.JPG
image2.JPG

Last edited:

That is a solid engine, before all of the HO troubles. Shocks likely needs rebuilt or replaced (if steel body). Skid should be gone through, and top-end refreshed. It should be a good sled though. Which skid is in it?

Don't buy it...it's a ski poo!! ha ha just kidding. Those 600's seem pretty tough. my friend has an 02 mxz 600, he beats the crap out of that thing and it keeps on going. That venom looks like a great deal too, those have the redhead motors which run forever. The doo looks good but I'd take the venom.

It's a Doo. I wouldn't even give it a first look.

They have built some really good sleds I guess but I'm used to Yamaha quality, longevity, fit and finish. Worked on, parted and bought/sold many Doo's. Have yet to see one that would compare.

Your $ though so Doo as you please. One question you should ask yourself though. How much more $ would it take to get Yamaha quality with half the miles??

You might be surprised.

opsled

Yeah that 04' SXVenom will look good next to my 04' SXViper in the garage. Going to look at it Friday. Meanwhile I passed on the doo doo and it's raining. I'm not sure I will even get to ride again at this point. This is the warmest winter I can recall thanks to "El Nino". That must translate to "global warming" haha. Is 6,000 miles a lot on one of these machines? He said the track is new and she's mint bub!

Yeah that 04' SXVenom will look good next to my 04' SXViper in the garage. Going to look at it Friday. Meanwhile I passed on the doo doo and it's raining. I'm not sure I will even get to ride again at this point. This is the warmest winter I can recall thanks to "El Nino". That must translate to "global warming" haha. Is 6,000 miles a lot one of these machines? He said the track is new and she's mint bub!

6000 miles isn't much for a redhead. I've got over 6000 on mine, good compression and still runs awesome.

One thing about those S-chassis 600 (non-ho) skidoos is simplicity. There is nothing complicated on them. I miss that sometimes with all the tech it takes to make a sled today. But then I hit the throttle and remember all that the modern tech brings to the table and I like it !!!

Been riding a zx the last few years. Not quite Yamaha quality, but a nice handling and riding sled no doubt

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back