40-10 H/Cs on 96 XT6

What kind of a set up are you looking for? Trail? Race?
Engagement rpm?
The MM 700 uses a different belt than the Vt 500, I assume you use the 89 L belt?

What kind of a set up are you looking for? Trail? Race?
Engagement rpm?
The MM 700 uses a different belt than the Vt 500, I assume you use the 89 L belt?

I forgot to mention that too. I'm running an ultimax xs805 belt. If I had an 8dn on it you could probably add 500 rpm right there.

Backwood, if you're interrested, I have a good HC set up for you, with no let downs.

Try about 4 grams in the heel, 4,3 grams in the middle and the rest like my set up.

Backwood, if you're interrested, I have a good HC set up for you, with no let downs.

Thanks,
I need to ride this setup more before I come to any conclusions. Peak rpm is right, engagement is coming down but I haven't ridden it enough to get the feel of the curve ( does it want to trench or not)

Sure, if you add some weight to the tip, it will more than likely work, with a higher top speed to boot.
You will likely also get better mpg than stock, because you can add up to 6 grams of weight in the middle hole, 8 if you use a nut on the other side.

Last edited:
Be sure also to get a white spring to be able to have that low of an engagement, and a spring that is suited for your sled (the white)

You need a white HC spring for your primary. For the secondary, a red or a green will do. Rich sells HC stuff.

I have never been able to get bender on the phone when I try calling. I want to buy a billet primary clutch cover and wanted to know about balance but nobody ever answers the phone.

I bought mine from h/c direct.

Just an update on the heelclickers on my 97 VT 500:

Changed middle to 5,1 grams, up from 3,3 grams, and now it runs like a true 500 liquid. Now, with the increased speed, the front shocks can't cope.
Also, even with the too light 3,3 grams in the middle, I still managed 9,55 MPG, when riding with my girlfriend 2 up. One of the reasons this machine is so bad on fuel is that it runs at a high rpm almost all the time, compared to the speed it is going.

For a XT 600, try 6 grams in the middle (watch for spider clearance).

Last edited:
Sometimes it can be, just try moving the weight to the extreme left and the extreme right, and see if the bolt still clears the spider pocket, check this the whole of the range the weight moves.

Did you abandon the HC project A couple of bucks?
Update: I am going to lighten the heel from 5,2 grams to maybe 4 or even 3,5 to get the engagement to about 4000-4200. When engaging at 3600 the sled feels like it's in high gear all the time.

Back