Viper 02 Needle questions......

Forsman

Hi, just bought my first Viper and having the carbs out for cleaning.
I've done it all except raising the needle. (Thanks to everyone on this forum for a good weeks reading up on the Viper)

The only post I've found that describes it OK misses the pictures attatched, since it's a couple years old.

After taking the top off the carbs:
"Remove the 2 allen head screws"

Then I'm stuck. Is the needle going out upwards?? Because there's more things in the way. Help me out with this guys so I can go ride my beast! :whine:

(Could someone shoot a video of the needle job? Seems like many have been asking for it!)

Years ago there was a great post in the Tech section. Let me see if I can find it.

It appears that the link for the exploded view no longer works on the old carb page.

Just wiggle the slide out or use thin needle node to pull the jet needle.

Yes it come out the top.

Loosen the Allen screws, push the black throttle holder? out left or right, don't remember if you need too hold throttle rack open, then you have access to needles.

Skickat från min SM-G388F via Tapatalk

The lifting mechanism should be in my way when lifting the slide/needle upwards?
Do I have to loosen anything there too?

IMG_20160303_183402.jpg

IMG_20160303_183410.jpg

Is it this one you mean?
photo_mikuni_TM33_8012_pumper_exploded_view.JPG

Last edited:
It will slide off the pin where it pivots. Then pull the top part that the 2 allen head screws are in out and the needle will be right there. Then just pull the needle out. Just make sure not to lose any of the little washers.

Part 5 is what you slide sideways off it's axle, while holding the slide open

Also twist 53 to open and stick a screwdriver or anything to hold it open

That exploded view is not as good as the one we originally had on TY. I can't recall if NY_SXR700 or the guy from Sweden posted it, but this is back in the early days of the then "New" forum (after the 1st 2 gens of message boards). Was the user Lasse maybe, I forget.

Im pretty sure its easier with the airbox off to reach in and push the slide up. And I think its #60

Yes 60 is also together with 5 you take off nr 4 bolts a round tip will help.

Be very careful I think the needle is aluminum so when you reach in the grab it with long thin needle nose it's easily marred up. Be very gentle with it

Sent from my E6560C using Tapatalk

you need a ballend 2.5mm allen wrench, as you lift the slide up(open the throttle linkage at the center cam) youll see 2 allen head screws holding the center of the slide to the linkage, loosen those 2 screws, the slide will drop down in the carb. Release gently the cam and slip the holder off the pin on the linkage, be sure to not loose the 2 screws. Then by sticking your finger in the back of carb under the slide you can just push it up slightly, then let one of your fingers just barely rest against the needle and slide upwards, the needle will slip up past the linkage arm and you can adjust the clip settings.

Haha I'm ashamed of myself... This was too easy. (I'm all done now and everything is put back together and running)
Thank you guys for the more in depth explanations. :)

My real problem was that I didn't really understand how everything was put together, I've never seen a clip-pin connection like the one that screws to the slide. (#59 #60 etc on the exploded view on page 1)

That combined with never ever reading that I was going to have to undo the 3 philips screws that holds the "rocker arms" to the shaft lead me to believe it was close to impossible haha.. But everyone said it was so simple so that couldn't be the case. With those loose it was a walk in the park to just pull everything upwards past the now put aside rocker arms.
I thought I would mess with the sync adjustment if i touched it but I was wrong.

Well, better to ask 4 questions too much than to **** anything up. :)

These are the 3 philips screws you should undo, guys who run into this problem in the future.
IMG_20160304_122127_.jpg

I also raised my needle to pos "3.25" i believe? (4th groove from the top with both washers on top)
Shitty pic but you get it.
IMG_20160304_135846.jpg

From standard pos "3" (3rd groove from the top with both washers underneath)
IMG_20160304_124218.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, I raised the Needles last night. you have to unscrew the allen screws completely not just loosen them. Then the linkage will come out. I took some pictures for people doing this in the future. It was simple once I figured it out
Here is what the carb looks like after you remove the linkage

The linkage that slides off

Pic inside you can see the top of the needle in the bottom of the carb grab it with needle nose pliers

The needle after I raised the position 4th groove down both washers on top. (the 2 plastic washers are covering the 3rd groove in the pic

Back