78 SRX rear skid swap...???

Blisteringsnorider

I would like to know what skid I could swap out from my 78 SRX 116" and go to a 121" skid ? Phazer, SRV, SS ????? And what specific year would work ? Thanks all :)

there is nothing that is a direct bolt in if that is what you are wanting to know but if you must then a phazer II skid would be your best option

I know you have to move the mounting holes. What year is a Phazer II ? I was told a 84 Phazer skid is what I need...any truth to that? Thanks

if your dead set on 121ing that sled, your best bet will be a phazer II skid from 91 and up. Now you need to factor in the additional length of the skid over stock and if you want an unadulterated srx, stick with a 116 skid, because the 121 will constantly grab your snowflap if you dont make a small extension for it. If your sled is not worthy of restoration for whatever reason, then by all means swap skids and tracks as the extra track length, not to mention all the good variables going to 121(track options). But, if your dealing with a pristine sled, please dont mess it up!

The srv skid after 86 would be a good choice but harder to find. The second gen pz's are way more readily available and the ss 440 skid is still a 116 and probably not musc better than what you have in there now in terms of condition and ride.

Where you at in Idaho? I have some parts you may be interested in if you want to commit to "long tracking" your srx.

Thanks for the comments, I race this sled in snow ovals....wanted to go to the 121 because of better track lug height and availability.... All your comments are greatly appreciated and keep them coming....thank you all

I have the perfect set up for your needs in a couple of options. 121 skids from either an exciter or a pzII along with a 121 track off a 96 vmax, or other 121 tracks, plus all the mounting dimensions and bracketry if needed. Contact me here. I am near central Idaho.

Depends on what you are going to use the sled for. If you are going to race it then staying with the 116" stock is the best. The SRX was designed as a high performance sled around a 116" skid. If you are going to trail/lake ride at higher speeds you need to be careful with the 121" suspensions from the Phazer II and VMax or SRV. These will raise the CG of the sled and affect the handling. As an alternative the 82 SRV suspension is a 121" but does not substantially raise the CG of the sled. I have made both conversions to 116" SS440 sleds and it just involves relocating the rear mounting holes and brackets. I also widened the ski stance with brackets similar to the 75GPX when installing the 83 or later SRV suspensions with higher travel. If you need a pic of the brackets I have an old GPX chassis with the original skis and widening kit.

There is no conversion that does not require the rear mounting holes to be relocated so if you currently have an original unmodified tunnel it be of little value later should you or someone else want to restore the sled.

My experience is that the 121" will not perform that much better than a 116" track with that much power in the powder and only a .75" stock paddle height. If I recall you are limited to a 1.25" paddle height with that tunnel so you would likely want to gear down and go to 136" or 144" x 1.25" set up if you are heading for the powder.

For running and handling on hard pack and ice it is pretty hard to beat the 116" stock set up.

I want to go to a 1" lug height and you can't get that in a 116" so that's why I want to go to a 121". For snow ovals (not Ice) it will work better in my situation

Just a thought, but lengthening the original skid for a 121 should be pretty simple or, simply a big wheel kit in back might make up your 121. Worth in-vestigating I would think. Definitely have to extend the sno-flap mount though either way. I am extending a 79 with a 129...but its getting a 700 triple.

Bringing this back up I"ve been thinking about replacing my skid from 116 to 121 on my 79 440 exciter because of more options of tracks out there. Does anyone have any pics of doing this I want to see how high the cg is raised I'm not to worried about extending the tunnel I've done a few in the past on powder sleds. This sled will be used for vintage rides in Michigan had packed trails and some snert.

Last edited:
Update: I ended up putting a Polaris skid out of a mid 80's model under it. Was a little work but it works great. Did some trimming on the attach points of the Polaris skid and had to move holes and install plates in tunnel to get the right attack angle I wanted on the track and driver clearance. I used a Polaris track off a 98 XC 600 got it all picked up as well. I also removed the tunnel heat exchanger and put a Polaris running board style on. As to date things have been working fine, just a little fine tuning.
Did raise the rear up a bit

Last edited:

Back