New 2017 VK540 first look.

low slung

Me and my brother got to check out a 2017 VK540 at my local dealer today.The new seat is way more comfortable than the previous model( really soft :p).New hood nice but heavy to lift.Rear suspenson is very plush and open(Easy to push down).Controls like the heated grips knobs are way cool(can be used with mitts on).The black color looks very mean and stealth like.Big improvement over the old model sold in north america.My dealer has 20 of them coming in and i bet he will sell them all by the end of next winter.Heres some crappy cell phone pics:o|.april 11 2016 VK540 2017 (1).jpgapril 11 2016 VK540 2017 (2).jpgapril 11 2016 VK540 2017 (3).jpgapril 11 2016 VK540 2017 (5).jpgapril 11 2016 VK540 2017 (7).jpg

looks high quality using things like aluminum for the air director on top of the clutch guard. and like always, rugged as hell! cool!

I was thinking about trading my 04warrior for one of these next winter(One dealer offered me $2500 for the warrior which equals $10300CDN on the snow for the VK540).I know i would miss the warriors brute speed but i was wondering how the VK is in off trail riding.Some videos from russia show them going through pretty deep snow but its just on level ground.One local guy here had to walk out of the back-country when his VK540III stuck by himself.My fathers 1995 ET410II is pretty light(524lbs wet minus 10lbs plastic skis)and the VK540 is close to 700lbs wet.The ET410II can haul a pretty good load but the VK should be able to haul a house.Wonder if anybody on here has experience with them and can compare them to an ET410II?(And an RXwarrior in deep snow?)

It isn't a bad looking sled for a big work sled. They should build a stripped down lighter version of this, get rid of the big front bumper, low windshield and different seat, it could be the new SRV!

So they do still build 2 stroke engines....maybe we'll see a new 2 stroke trail weapon in the future. WOULD BE NICE YAMAHA, REALLY NICE!!!

I will call this the best Yamaha since they built 2 strokes only. It is not obese compared to the others, the weight should be about the same, it is upgraded with some modern features, as on other manufactures, and it even has some benefits over the others. Flat slide carb on a fan cooled work sled, that's pretty cool. And also an electric carb heater. I read somewhere that they expect to sell more of this model than any other yamaha model. Coincidence? I think not.

I will call this the best Yamaha since they built 2 strokes only. It is not obese compared to the others, the weight should be about the same, it is upgraded with some modern features, as on other manufactures, and it even has some benefits over the others. Flat slide carb on a fan cooled work sled, that's pretty cool. And also an electric carb heater. I read somewhere that they expect to sell more of this model than any other yamaha model. Coincidence? I think not.

Surprised it came back to north america(not a huge utility sled market).The latest snowtech mag states the upgraded motors emission output is well below the EPA limit so it should be good for stricker emission rules.Wet weight of this new model is 730LBS(yamahas owners manual)so it may of gained a few pounds(widetrack sleds tend to be on the hefty side).Heres a link to an alaska trapper forum that talks about work snowmobiles(The only yamaha they have praise for is the bravo).Interesting reading.... http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4289201/all/Trapline_snowmobiles

First of all, you have the 2017 owners manual already?
Is this the weight for the correct Viking? Sounds more like a 4 stroke.
EDIT: well yes, well forget everything then, it gained 44 kg, which is like 99 pounds. How is this possible? The skid must be lighter than on a pro action vk 3 from 2004?
This must be with fuel? then it would make sense, kind of.

Last edited:
First of all, you have the 2017 owners manual already?
Is this the weight for the correct Viking? Sounds more like a 4 stroke.
EDIT: well yes, well forget everything then, it gained 44 kg, which is like 99 pounds. How is this possible? The skid must be lighter than on a pro action vk 3 from 2004?
This must be with fuel? then it would make sense, kind of.

Got the wet weight off yamaha canadas site by downloading the owners manual(https://www.yamaha-dealers.ca/ymca/web/public/ownersManuals/?locale=en_CA ).The 2017 model has a 1.5inch lug track which adds some pounds over the 2004 model for sure along with the other updates(still shouldn,t added up to 99lbs).

Well it must be wet weigh vs dry weigh. Full tank of gas, full tank of oil and oil in shocks should still not add to 99 lbs. For comparison, a 2003 Venture 700 was 307 kg (676 lbs), wet, vs the 331 kg (730 lbs) of the Viking.

Last edited:
trust me. the vk takes a beating for sure. my uncles 1992 read 12000km for the last 16 years before my aunt sold it.

No doubt if your hauling big loads its the sled to have.BRPs tundras and skandics now don,t have steels tunnels,just the hitch bolted to the rear bumper of an skidoo XP tunnel.A few loads like i haul with the ET410II(see pic) the skidoos arse wouldP4040079.jpg be ripped out:whine:.They got the worse hitch set-up of all the utility sleds.Hauling a plastic canadiantire sleigh in the brochues doesn,t cut mustard.

Last edited:
Hi All. I'm a newb to forums, so bare with me.

I've bought the new VK540 (black) for hauling and general transport. We have mountains, tundra, frozen ocean, delta and tiaga around my area, all within 100km. I've been looking for reviews but haven't been able to find anything straight from an owner's POV. The local dealer has a three left, and thus far I'm the only one who bit the bullet and bought in.

I've used the previous edition of VK up in the high arctic. All the usual complaints but when it was humming along it served it purpose, hauling muskox to the slaughter. The upgrades are welcome. On that, so far at just over 500km: the rear suspension is great and makes for better reversing; the heated carb (takes some time to kick in) makes for efficiency, quicker warm-up to moving on two firing cylinders at -35C; new carb has not fouled a plug; seat is very comfortable and fits my wife, two young sons and myself if need be; fuel economy is...well, the larger tank gives about 200km range; wider skis could be wider buut are alright, engine ventilation is improved; grips are warm and switches are durable; improved shield is great and keeps one warmer on the nastier days; I can go on.

A little bit about the experience: the machine is not skandic and even with the up-sized lugs she doesn't like to climb in tiaga in loose snow while hauling even a light load - you have to pin it which just doesn't work in most cases. It does haul like a bastard, though and maneuvers better with improved suspension. In the sketchier non-hauling, more adventurous riding situations, its still a viking and takes a lot of effort to maneuver. I trust the machine more than any other i've been on because Yam changed only what needed to be changed without compromising the durability and dependability we need up here. It's so heavy and I feel as if it is heavier than the last edition:whine: I'll stop by the weigh station to get a read for you guys as I can't find it listed anywhere.

Deep snow: as I mentioned before, one could use wider skis if deep snow was always a concern as the machine will plow through anything and the result is that snow enters the fan and turns to slush, etc. Not ideal, so best to be above the powder. We recently broke over 20km of 4 foot snow. I had to hit the herman nelson when we returned to dry her out.

I'm happy to answer any questions and provide updates or pictures should anyone request.

Back