Budget Viper build

TominacAuto

I've been a lurker around here for a while, and I figured it's time to start a thread for my newest project sled. I've been riding a Venom for the last year and I just picked up a Viper to replace it. The Venom is going to be the wife's new sled and the Viper will be mine. I picked it up this weekend for $500. It's all stock minus a can, has just under 10,000 miles but all in all is in pretty decent shape. The dash is busted from a roll-over and the seat seam is torn. Otherwise it's fairly straight for a sled with that many miles.

IMG_17081_zpsbbt7wvub.jpg

IMG_17181_zpsqisae9rr.jpg

Got it tucked away in the garage next to the Venom. Going to pull my Pro Taper bar setup off of it for the blue one, and put stock back on there. Cleaned some of the duct tape residue off the windshield which all ready makes it look way better.

IMG_17281_zpszqmyzjly.jpg

IMG_17291_zpsabgw0dtc.jpg

IMG_17361_zps4bfva8vh.jpg

Plans are to thoroughly clean everything, go through the power valves and carbs, handlebars, some sort of taller/different seat, 136" extensions, and a 1.25" - 1.5" track. Hopefully the motor holds up with that many miles. I compression checked it all ready and it looks to be very healthy. I may pull it down and do a top end just to be safe. But we will see. I have all summer now to get it ready for next year. Should be a solid sled by the time the snow flies again!

Looks like a good project. I have a 04 sx viper s. I have owned since new. This year I started doing some maintnence on it as I had neglected it a bit. In mine I had to re place all the bushings in the rear suspension. Look that up on here, MRVIPER has a great right up on this. I also this year purchased and installed a 136" Track and extention kit. I went with the track USA kit 11/4 lug. I have not completed it entirely, so I can not give you any info on the ride or diffrence it made. I will say, I like the Quality and fit of the extentions and like the 11/4" ripsaw track. The first tunel exention I got was to short if you run the srx heat exchanger. In fact I believe it was to short all together. However after i sent them some pictures they gladly sent me the longer one with no complaints. I would also recomend adding a extra wheel just before or after the transfer rods. You can find used oem parts to do this very easly. Same wheel and suport from front will work. For what it is worth i also added a fourth wheel to the rear. Easy to do, just buy the wheel and cut stock spacer to length. There is info on this site for that as well. If running picks Make sure you have tunnel protectors and front heat exchanger protectors. I dont care much for the plastic yamaha ones as the surface area is to small about 1/4 " and will take the lugs off when they hit. I opted for a Articat protector this time that is 11/8" wide. More surface area for the lug to hit. If you run a 11/2" lug you may have to add 8 tooth drivers, you may even need them on the 11/4" track on that sled. Caution if runing 8 tooth drivers with drop brackets. Center shock Clearence may be a problem at the top. I will know shortly after I get my chain case back from powder coating to do a final test fit of everything. You might also consider sending your shocks out to Pioneer Motorsports to have rebuilt, fairly inexpensive and worth it. I found it is very important to figure out what you want to do, and price it all up ahead of time as it adds up in a hurry!!! I hope this helps you moving forward.

Last edited:
Also for what it"s worth, I would check the condition of your reeds. I looked at my stock reeds the other day and found they were breaking small peaces off after 5800 miles. I am going with Carbon teck reeds, 370LT. Alot less money than the v force and feel more comfortable knowing they are new. Srx tork limiter is a good additoin also. That info is on this site also. If you become a VIP member you can get a complete copy of the service manual here as well. IT is well worth it!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the advice! I have read almost every post on this site about track extensions, and I think I know what I want. Still weighing my options. I plan on going through every piece of this thing before it's all said and done, but one thing at a time. I've owned and built a number of red heads over the years. My favorite being an 01 Mountain Max. Everything I've owned since hasn't compared. Hopefully this thing will fill it's shoes once extended. This is my first power valved Yamaha, pretty excited to see what it'll do!

Last edited:
Well I love my viper, not much compares to it. I think you will love it when complete. Hope you post your progress so we can see your build.

Small/ boring update. I got my handlebars switched over. I found a couple of broken wires while I was in there and was able to fix both the kill switch and handwarmers. Glad to find simple fixes like that. I drilled some holes in the cowl and was able to attach the windshield back to the broken dash. Then I peeled some scraped up stickers off the sides. If nothing else it's looking better. Time to start on some important stuff though.
IMG_17441_zps7damobww.jpg

What handlebars did you install? Did you add riser" how tall? Pivit? I take it you did not use longer cables?

They are Pro Taper fat bars with a 1 inch rise. Along with a fly six inch pivot riser. I made the lower pivot from an old piece of dirt bike bars. Used all the stock cables. Had to slightly reroute and they are maxed right out but don't seem to bind anywhere. I ran this setup last year on my Venom and it worked great. I bought the whole setup off of eBay for $100 including the powermadds. I'll take some better pictures once I get the wiring cleaned up and in a loom.

Last edited:
I didn't get any more pics yet but I pulled an old one off my phone of my bar setup on my Venom. It's a really comfortable setup. I need to figure out a little taller seat now to complete everything.
IMG_15631_zpshkgcfump.jpg

And while I was flipping through my phone I found a picture of my old Mountain Max. Gosh I miss that thing. Never should have gotten rid of it. I guess you live and learn. The saddest part is that I sold it and bought an F7 to replace it. Long story short, I only put 200 miles on the F7 and it got traded off for my Venom.
IMG_01801_zpsx5l04uf1.jpg

Last edited:
And.. I sold my house. So the sleds got loaded up and are sitting in my parents yard until my new place is built, and I have time to work on them. Not much left to do, but I need to have them ready for when the snow flies!
IMG_22441_zps2zkfo7vy.jpg
IMG_22431_zpsf5xavdby.jpg

That seat is the best mod ever. Narrower than a boss seat, still the same rise. I put one on my viper several years ago and loved it.

Yeah it feels pretty good, I may or may not have stolen the idea from you. Your sled is definitely one of my favorites of all time. Awesome work!

I've gotten a lot done in the last couple weeks. Bought a used 136 x 1.25 track that is in really nice shape and some SLP rail extensions.
IMG_23071_zpsywlwvcxy.jpg
Pulled the skid, replaced a couple bad bearings and put on a set of slides. Removes the tunnel protectors and put it all back together.
IMG_23151_zpsextjemt9.jpg
IMG_23161_zpst4xop1cu.jpg

Back