Sx viper s upgrade

sxviper-s

20140215_165340.jpgThis is my 04 sx viper s project I thought I would share. I will be and have already made several changes to this. I have owned this since new. This year it" is time for an update.
Curent upgrades as you see it now include. Heel clicker primary and roller secondary w/ 42/34 heilex, 8 tooth drivers, gearing 22t 35, Maxx transfer nuts, 144 studs 1.325 on a 1.25" /121 ripsaw track. Slp pipes and jetting, Reed spacers, C&A skis.

Plans are, some of what I have already done, include.
1 track extention to 136"
2 4th wheel kit
3 extra wheel kits
4 new reeds
5 new head, Peak Performance and Opticool gasket
6 rebuild all bushings and bearings
7Srx tork link
As well as a few other odds and ends.

Nice sled. Great project!

Why 8 tooth drivers with only 1.25 or 1.35 paddle track? Don't know if Vipers are different but my Venture has plenty of clearance with 1.35 Cobra and with 9 tooth drivers. (no rad protector)

Goodluck.

Well quite a few years ago I had studded the track. 11/4" 121 Ripsaw. 144 megabite 1.325" with double backers. At that time also added 8 Tooth drivers, for clearence, front heat exchanger protectors, Yamaha 1" tunel protectors,Plastic type. And rear heat exchanger protectors.
Everything was great at first. Over time i noticed lugs seamed to be taring off. So i suspected they were hitting the rear heat exchanger protectors. So at that time I welded an angle on them so they would not hit the flat surface. As time went on I lost more lugs but didn't give it much thought. It was not until I started this project that I realized that the first lugs to go were the ones in line with my tunnel protectors. Looking at them the track only comes in contact with a 1/4" area on each side of the tunnel. So I believe that was the cause of the first lugs to go. So I installed shorter tunnel protectors this time around 7/8" high x 11/8 wide. They will give me over double the surface area for the track to hit. I am hoping this prevents problems in the future. I am sure my agresive ridding at the time would acount for the rest of the missing lugs. However I have no complants as the track has lasted me 12 years and I have never lost a stud in it.

Last edited:
This is the first set i had on. See how there is only 1/4 inch on each one for the track to hit. You can also see how they wore down over time.This as well as the missing lugs alowed the picks to scratch the tunnel some over time.20160427_174049.jpg

20160427_173828.jpg Here are the new ones installed.

So I decided on the track USA extention kit 136" 20160213_214832.jpgAt this time I also replaced all the bushings, all the wheel bearings, a shaft, repaired my W arm. The limiter strap brace had torn off. I welded that back on and re enforced it while i was at it. Sand blasted it and painted it. I added a 4th wheel in the rear and installed the extention kit on the rails. I was very pleased with the quality of the extentions. Now it was time for the first test fit. everything was looking good at this point. :-)20160314_205506.jpg

Last edited:
Now time to begin work on the tunnel extention. Well ran into a problem here. ITS TOO SHORT! So I make a call to track USA, at first I got the speach, (well we have never had any complants in the past). So I said ok, let me send you some pictures it's worth a millon words. 20160312_222317.jpg20160312_222108.jpg I got a call back a 11/2 hour later. He saìd not sure how that happen but we can send you out our longer tunnel extention we use on the 144" kits. I said ok. And it was on its way to me. Very good people to work with!!

Last edited:
Now for the fun part. How do I install the heat exchanger?? The viper s has the big one like the SRX. HMMM? Well really had to plan this out to do it correctly. Also relocated the bumper suports in it and installed the bumper. Spent alot of time on this. You can see in the pic where I welded the ends of the heat exchanger protectors. Also I used stainles bolts and nylon nuts on them.20160318_205105.jpg20160318_205032.jpg The extention kit adds 8" total length to the rails, so I moved the heat exchanger 8 1/2" back. This gave me an aditional 1/2 clearence over all compared to stock. Should not have any problems with picks hitting the heat exchanger this way. You can see in the picture. The old setup was hitting on ocation.

Last edited:
Ok time to install the tunnel extention. 20160403_214840.jpg all went well here. Wow starting to change the look. 20160320_225204.jpg Now Im getting excited woo hoo!! But you know what the evil of good is?? Better! ! Ok my thinking here is, I now have a longer track with more traction, also with 162 megabite 1.325" studs in it. I may want more ski presure. The answer??

Lets try the CB drop brackets!! so I proced to remove the susspention again. I have to say the instructoins were a bit skecthy I thought. I measure and measure again and again. The instuctions said to drop the front 11/2". I thought to myself that is most likely if you were going to use the 31/2" drop location. So looking at the front again I was able to keep the new hole entirely in the original steel plate if I only drop it 11/4" in the front and I felt that was ok given I only intended to use the 21/2" drop location. I kept the distance the same from bolt hole to bolt hole on the front. Ok all seamed to work out well there. Now on to the rear. I found after measuring several times there was a problem with the way the brackets were made. I needed to remove more material on an angle to have them properly fit over the heat exchanger. HMM?? So in order to do this without the proper tools. I improvised. I used a sawzall with a bimetal blade layed it flat and removed the material needed. Then filed smooth. I used the 3 small holes for rivets and drilled two more holes 1/4" and used stainless bolts with nylon nuts in them and the large bolt provided to mount it in place. I cut the bolts to length inside the tunnel as I did not want the track to come in contact with them.

Last edited:
I was not sure how I wanted to cover the heater hoses. For now I cut the stock cover to fit over the tunnel. I intend on using stainles steel braided hose for the coolent lines and try to find some nice clamps for the exposed conections. I have not completed that as of yet.

I at this point came up with a brain storm. Lol. I wonder if I can fit a new style flap on this?? Well as it turns out, It fits almost perfectly. I trimed about 1/4 inch off each side a tad in the middle and presto. :cool: well I was at it I added a 2014 viper tail light. Still have yet to wire it as I am wondering if I need a resistor for this install? Wow this thing sits High and looks cool. Rear bumper is 28" off the ground. I used to have my limiter straps very tite. I am hoping with this setup I can keep them almost fully extended for more travel. 20160404_134938.jpg20160404_142857.jpgYou can see here in the picture the little bit of angle on the CB brackets needed to obtain the corect distance from the center bolt location.

Last edited:
You can also see in the pic I added 2 extra wheel kits, One front and one in the rear. If I were to do the rear again I would use The oem wheels and brackets from the front as they have a larger and better bearing.

Well today I was able to get back at it a bit. Got a few things sand blasted and ready for powder coat. 20160430_192304.jpg Also cleaned up engine bay a bit.20160430_191954.jpg20160430_192006.jpg

Thank you Yamahamark. I really like the way it's turning out. I can say I did not plan to do as much as I am but i think it will be worth it in the end.

Back