Mikuni TM-carbs on Phazer-II engine... ?

Lasse

Hi !

I want to put a pair of Mikuni TM-carbs on my youngest daughter's sled.
But I do not know what jetting they should have ?

Riding height: 1300 - 2700 Feet

From what Yamaha sled are they easiest to convert to the Phazer-II engine ?
* Exciter-II SX ( 1993 )
* V-Max 500 ( 1994 --> )
* V-Max 600 ( 1994 --> )

I will run the engine with Pre-Mixed ( 40:1 ) fuel.
What throttle block will fit the TM carbs ?

Last edited:

Found this.....

Use 94-96 Vmax 600 carbs, they are 38 mm carb same as the Phazer and are a direct fit.
Center to Center is the same, they will slide right into the carb boots and the air box fits perfect.
The only exception is the throttle cable has a little more cable outside the casing.
You could use a Vmax throttle block to solve that or I just made a spacer, maybe 3/8 - 1/2" long to fit in the phazer throttle block to take up the slack,
and I still have plenty of adjustment at the carb, enough that I could shorten up the spacer.
I'm starting with stock vmax jetting and adjust from there, but I think it will be real close.
Jetting will vary depending on the motor work reeds and pipe,
let me know what you have going on then I can give you a set up and if you are running the air box or not.
jetting will depend on motor work or not, and reeds ...airbox, if running needs to be completely gutted on the inside if not you will fight a very rich top end condition.
I will have to look up the jetting again as I know the pilots and mains need to be changed
One thing I am not sure about is jetting, could not find an Aaen pipe so will run the stock pipe for a while.
Will the stock Vmax-600 jetting work with stock pipe ?
So I found a DG pipe and installed it with the TM38 flatslides from a 1995 V-max 600.
Needle clip on the top with one shim under. Stock pilot jet (52.50) air screw 2 turns out.
Try 156.3 main, 150, 147.5 and now 143.8 and i always have a strange rattling sound every time i snap the trottle to WOT.
but the better for the moment is the 143.8
When you guys run TM-flatslide carbs on your Phazer-II's do you gut the airbox?
I'm having trouble getting mine to run right seems to want to loadup.
Plugs are dark, almost black.
Airbox must be completely gutted
if not they will run rich from mid range up
cold air intake is a big help too

Yamaha Nutz and YooperWoods

I need some detailed information from you guys :itchy:

Last edited:
I have carbs off of a 96v-max 600, dg pipe, needle and nozzle are stock, the needle has both plastic washers under it, 50pilot, 148.8 mains, gutted airbox, I ride it at 2200 ft

YamahaNutz said:
Use the V-Max 500 or 600 carbs, not the Exciter-II SX they need to much change.
All depends on what motor work if any and what pipe and air box or filters.
To begin with the engine will be completely stock with stock air box, but I will update it. :2strokes:
If I understand it correctly, the stock air box should always be gutted when using the TM carbs.

Is the 500 and 600 carburetor exactly the same ?

Riding height: 1300 - 2700 Feet

Alternative 1. Completely stock Engine just the TM carbs. --> Carb set up ?

Alternative 2. New Yamaha pistons with the "SX" cut out. --> Carb set up ?

Alternative 3. SX pistons and single pipe. --> Carb set up ?

Alternative 4. SX pistons, single pipe and Boyesen reeds. --> Carb set up ?

Last edited:
stock motor no pipe ....not worth it there is no gain aside from a little midrange tuning witch can be done with the stock carbs

for carbs i like to use the 600 carbs as the are pretty much bolt on jetting will all depend on temp and altitude or relative air density .....that being said
when making the jump to flats to see any gain the air box must be completely gutted and cold air intake installed the sx piston cut does not really require much if any jet change over stock same goes for the reeds, the biggest change will depend on which pipe you use as to what jetting and clutching plus every motor is different in its needs
for pilots you will need a 47.5 to a 52.5 like i said all in what the motor wants
mains will again range from 145 to 150 .....which choices will be 145,147.5,148.8(yamaha only),150
stock needle and tube from any of the yamaha 600's work just fine
air screw at 1 turn ......unless you have 97 or newer 38mm carbs that have the fuel screw then set that at 1.5 turns out
your biggest tuning factor is the pipe your choose

for a stock motor at 52-54 hp reeds and the sx cut will net you about 6 hp but depend on pipe you choose you you can add another 10-15 hp at rpm range of 7000-7400 all pipes made with no port work will be in this range i do have set up sheets for just about every pipe made and for the ones i don't i can give you a set up that will work very well

For carbs i like to use the 600 carbs as the are pretty much bolt on jetting will all depend on temp and altitude or relative air density.
I have found a pair from a V-max 500

What needs to be changed inside them to make them work on the Phazer engine ?
...or is it better to continue searching for a pair from a V-Max 600 ?

Last edited:
I have found a pair from a ( 1994 ) V-max 500 for $ 100

What needs to be changed inside them to make them work on the Phazer engine ?
...or is it better to continue searching for a pair from a V-Max 600 ?

I would love to put on a single pipe on the sled but over here in SWEDEN aftermarket exhaust system are very rare.
...So I will continue searching for a single pipe and rejet for that when I find one.

Slide, needle, pilot and main jet are all different.

Slide, needle, pilot and main jet are all different.
yes of course,
but I meant that do you have to change more in a carb from a V-max 500'a than in a carburetor from a V-Max 600
when used on a Phazer engine ?

:) One wants to change as little as possible :)

By the time you find/buy the slides and needles you might as well find a set of vmax 600 carbs. It will most likely be less expensive in the long run.

Gutting the air box ?

Luftburk moddad.jpg

# 28 will be ditched.

What more needs to be done ?

DSC00703.jpg

DSC00697.jpg

DSC00698.jpg

DSC00699.jpg

DSC00700.jpg

DSC00701.jpg

DSC00702.jpg

Last edited:
Recipe...

I have TM-carbs of a ( 1996 ) V-Max 600 on my ( 1996 ) Phazer-II ST

Riding height: 2000 - 4000 Ft.

687 Q6 Nozzle.
50 Pilot Jet.
148.8 Main Jet.
8CFY6-55 Needle. Both plastic washer under clip and clip in the middle.
1.0 Turn out on Air Screw.

* DG single pipe.
* Gutted Air Box.
* Boyesen reeds.
* AEM O[SUB]2[/SUB] wideband lambda probe meter.

I have TM-carbs of a ( 1995 ) V-Max 600 on my ( 1995 ) Phazer-II ST

Riding height: 1500 - 2000 Ft.

??? Nozzle.
52.5 Pilot Jet.
147.3 Main Jet.
8CFY6-55 Needle. Clip in the middle and one plastic washer under the clip.
2.0 Turn out on Air Screw.

* DG single pipe.
* Gutted Air Box.
:) Thanx

Last edited:
So asking about the carb conversion here... To be specific i guess... can a guy just go to amazon and buy a set of flat slides and throw them on the motor? or does it have to be from a vmax? i understand that they'd have to be jetted to run correctly and stuff. but i guess my question is whats the difference between amazon mik flat slides and vmax mik flat slides... thanks! ive been looking intently into doing this to my phazer amongst other things as well.

Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 2.19.10 PM.jpg

There isnt one thing that resembles anything between the Vmax TM flat slides and cable TMX/TM flat slides. I have seen cable TM flat slides before on Phazers but I have yet to see any TMX's on them. Im sure they would work, but you mite as well buy every pilot from 15-50, and every TMX needle available so you can dial them in. The TMX carbs have a fixed nozzle so there is no changing that part, You would also have to verify that the needle and seat is a 1.5. Thats about all i got.

Ok, Im curious. I have a set of older TM's I've been running. They have a nut at the bottom of the (17mm head), but I did notice last night that the plastic piece around the main jet that also acts as a pilot tube only has 4 holes. I have never been short on fuel so whats the issues???

The four hole can stop fuel flow at certain high rpm runs. Harmonics and rpm will hold fuel at the nut. Random burn downs. I just added 4 more holes, same size as factory. Don't torque the crap out of it. I see some new carbs come with extra from Mic now. Most of my issues came on 10,000 rpm motors but it's a easy update so why risk it on low rpm motors

Back