Mikuni TM-carbs on Phazer-II engine... ?

Toy Doc is right on the TMX carbs needing the updated bowl Nuts or you need to drill more , original TMs there is no worry they are like std mikuni bowls For newer TMX carbs i would have to look it back up but i know from the way they come stock they are not a bolt on if i remember right slide has to be changed to a 3.5 with 17.5 pilots 260 main and #57 needle i am going off memory here and would have to double check

as far as gutting the air box gutting you need to re move the baffle completely, cut it off as to retain the cold air inlet , the metal plate and the the egg shaped deflectors so you just have a empty shell ....if not done you will fight a bad rich condition at WOT ......

Anyone have pics of these bowl nuts with holes? I was just curious after following this thread a bit that the flats I had on my pz for years there are no holes in the bowl nut. I know the stock pz carbs had the 4 holes. I will be busy removing bowls here in the next bit.

sorry no pics but the TMX carbs are the only ones to be concerned about .....rack flats and original TMs are of no concern

As far as gutting the airbox you need to remove the baffle completely,
cut it off as to retain the cold air inlet,
the metal plate and the the egg shaped deflectors so you just have a empty shell
if not done you will fight a bad rich condition at WOT.
I will post a picture on how I did.

As far as gutting the air box gutting you need to re move the baffle completely, cut it off as to retain the cold air inlet,
the metal plate and the the egg shaped deflectors so you just have a empty shell
...if not done you will fight a bad rich condition at WOT.
I hope I've done the right way ?

DSC01026.jpg

DSC01027.jpg DSC01022.jpg

DSC01028.jpg

Last edited:
Need help with identification ?

At last I managed to get hold of a set of TM-38 rack carburetors,
Out of curiosity, I would like to know from what Yamaha they are coming from ?

ID No: 8 CD 00

Main jet: 156,3

Pilot jet: 40

Needle: 8FLZ2

Needle jet: 687 Q6

I cant find any 8CD id anywhere. Are you sure thats the number?? I know sometimes the stampings can be hard to read.

I have a set from a 1996 Vmax XT 600 that are marked 8CA - 00 on the intake side of carbs if that helps at all and yes it is difficult to read those little stampings!!!

Rich mid-range

I have the same needle in a set of TM38's that I just bolted up to my 94 Phazer, with AAEN pipe and run mostly at sea level. With that needle and a Q6 jet, and 148.8M and 50P I am super rich in the mid-range.

I ran the sled with the same pipe last year with the butterfly carbs at 148.8M and 110P, and it ran as well as it could with the stock carbs.

So the needle I have is the 8FLZ2, and it seems that others are running the 8CFY6-55. I have gone up and down google to try and find some info on this, but I got nothing. Anyone experts care to chime in?

At last I managed to get hold of a set of TM-38 rack carburetors,
Out of curiosity, I would like to know from what Yamaha they are coming from ?

ID No: 8 CD 00

Main jet: 156,3

Pilot jet: 40

Needle: 8FLZ2

Needle jet: 687 Q6

8FLZ2 vs 8CFY6-55

Looks like to me the 8CFY6-55 is a leaner needle (one on the right). I have a couple out of another set of carbs. Going to give it a try.

IMG_2637.jpg

Hi
Old thread, but I Will try:)

I have a tuned pz and I’m thinking of changing for TM carbs. I’ve found a set from a vmax600sx-98. According to this thread they should fit and be TM38. But when I medssure them on the engine side, they Only are 35mm? 8CR-00 the inscription sas....

Greatful for help

97 and up 600 had 36mm Mikuni's the 94-96 had the 38's. Does anyone know where I can get the 687 series needle jets. I can't seem to find that series any where?

Last edited:

Back