Weekend find 1991 Phazer ST

NorthofSixty

Scored a 91 Phazer ST (136" long track) this weekend for under $200. All original in great shape even the track. Only thing wrong with the sled is one busted ski bracket but used on lots of sleds and not hard to find. Took all of five minutes to get it running. First Phazer I have owned and it looks like a fun sled.

Awesome!!.. I just scored a Phazer this weekend as well, very cool...pic's?

You will not believe the places those little phazers will go. And they can take a pretty good beating as well. I have a 87 phazer and I can go almost anywhere my buddies go even in the powder.

Also ended up with a couple of VT480 Ventures as part of the package. Both a little rough. A 1991 standard model with good compression and running and a 1992 LT version with low compression on one side and some damage to the hood. Lots of parts fit the Phazer so between the three sleds I should be able put together two good reliable long tracks for next winter. The Venture LT has the same 136" suspension as the Phazer but has full length rails rather than the factory extensions. The Venture rails also tip up at the rear which might be a better set up for the Phazer.

This may sound like a dumb question but where do you mount a primer on a Phazer? The only place I can see that is convenient and out of the way is on the right side above the key switch where the warning decal is.

The Venture 136" has the same suspension as the Phazer 136" but has full length rails rather than the factory extensions.
The Venture 136" rails also tip up at the rear which might be a better set up for the Phazer 136".
Close up pictures of this ?

Close up pic of 92 Venture VT480 XL suspension

Lasse

Here is a pic of the 136" full length rails for the Venture VT480 XL. The tip up at the rear should let the Phazer handle more like a 121" suspension on the hard pack but float like a 136" in the powder.

1992 Venture XL suspension.jpg

Fyi

Here is a pic of the 136" full length rails for the Venture VT480 XL.
The tip up at the rear should let the Phazer handle more like a 121" suspension on the hard pack but float like a 136" in the powder.
The Venture-480 model was produced at the Yamaha factory between 1991-2001 with three different track lengths:
* 121"
* 136"
* 151"

Your sled is the 151" version with an articulated extension or "flip" of the skid rail.

Last edited:
These are my first 1990's sleds. Everything else I have is 70"s and 80's. I will have to find a service manual for the Venture and Phazer so I know how to adjust the suspension and tune the Extra Ratio Clutches especially if I swap them over to the Phazer.

old thread but would you happen to know what sleds used the Xtra Ratio primary/secondary clutches like the Venture VT48TF? I can't find the TF model listed on the Yamaha parts websites to get the part numbers.

I put one on all of my sleds. We cold start with the pull cord as low as -40 C where I live and find that at temperatures below -20 C the sleds fire right up with a primer whereas they can be extremely hard to start and keep running or won't start at all with just a choke at these temperatures. Warmer than -20 C they generally start with just the choke no problem. At extreme cold temperatures I also find it much easier to warm them up so they will idle with less risk of flooding by slowly feeding fuel with the primer rather than repeatedly flipping the choke on/off.

The primer also has come in real handy when we needed to start a fire in a hurry.

I have to admit the phazers have been pretty good starting compared to most of my other sleds.

Back