TY SRV 540 into a SS 440 Chassis

MrSled

Site Admin/CEO
Staff member
Website
www.totallyamaha.com
Its been awhile since I did any kind of builds in the summer. I have been so busy working on my house and just trying to enjoy the summer. I have been wanting to transplant a SRV 540 motor into my SS 440 chassis for the last few years and I am finally going to push it to get it done. I will post some pics this weekend as I plan on to start the project tonight.

Used to drag race one years ago. With the 9 tooth drives from the SRV it should pull hard and top out at about 95mph!! In 660ft the skis would finally touch down about 2/3 down the track. If you enjoy steering by the seat of your pants this combination is hard to beat. Some of the most fun I ever had on a sled.

Used to drag race one years ago. With the 9 tooth drives from the SRV it should pull hard and top out at about 95mph!! In 660ft the skis would finally touch down about 2/3 down the track. If you enjoy steering by the seat of your pants this combination is hard to beat. Some of the most fun I ever had on a sled.

Right on. Thats awesome info. I am excited about the fun factor. I will try and get a few more hours on the old girl today.Do you recall what clutches you ran and what the set up was?

I ran a the stock comet primary from an 83 SRV. With the extra low end torque from the 535 I never had to play with the tuning stock at 3400/7000. I used the stock secondary but had to spend some time finding the right preload. It was many years ago but I am pretty sure I had to lighten the preload quite a bit to get it to stop trenching down to the running boards and getting stuck. I was running a stock 81 SS suspension so not much clearance once she started to dig a hole. With the stock clutch tuning the standard tuning for the Kehin butterfly carb should perform well. I had Boysen reeds and at one time ran a 40 mm Mikuni but don't recall the jetting. It is a bunch of extra work to fit a Mikuni because you have to find a throttle block and lever with the right throw. With the Mikuni I gutted the air box and installed a K&N filter inside which can clamp right onto the stock white nylon insert. This keeps the belt material out of the carb which was always a problem on the SS/SRV's. I still have the air box with the carb if you want a pic.

I ran a the stock comet primary from an 83 SRV. With the extra low end torque from the 535 I never had to play with the tuning stock at 3400/7000. I used the stock secondary but had to spend some time finding the right preload. It was many years ago but I am pretty sure I had to lighten the preload quite a bit to get it to stop trenching down to the running boards and getting stuck. I was running a stock 81 SS suspension so not much clearance once she started to dig a hole. With the stock clutch tuning the standard tuning for the Kehin butterfly carb should perform well. I had Boysen reeds and at one time ran a 40 mm Mikuni but don't recall the jetting. It is a bunch of extra work to fit a Mikuni because you have to find a throttle block and lever with the right throw. With the Mikuni I gutted the air box and installed a K&N filter inside which can clamp right onto the stock white nylon insert. This keeps the belt material out of the carb which was always a problem on the SS/SRV's. I still have the air box with the carb if you want a pic.

Sure post up a pic. I did some cleaning on the SS today and finished the wire harness conversion. Painted the pipe. Ill post some pics next round.

Nice 85. My favorite. Bob Vehring has an SRV that goes like snot. Its right up there with a 600 liquid. You should find a set of RPC dual carb adapters and a set of 38mm Flats...and of course, a decent pipe.

Isnt there some pipe for the 540 requires quite abit of port work. RPC???
I ran across one at a swap meet last year and texted you about it. I think it was Belvidere.

I dont really recall. The only pipe that I can think of that requires port work to make it slightly better than stock would be the Aaen Exciter pipe on an Exciter. Im not sure about the SRV. I can tell you the PSI single is a nice pipe. It works well.
I know there was a guy that used a set of twin Vmax 540 pipes on an srv a while back. I would not recommend that unless running twin carbs as well. Also, adding some head pipe length would probably be an idea to try if you were to go that route. Being that the Vmax 540 runs at 8250 I think. I can tell you from experience that those pipes have almost no low end when run on a 600 vmax motor. I would believe it would be even worse on a 540 fanner.
Kind of off track, just throwing some ideas out there.

Aaen RPC and PSI made single pipes for these motors all helped in the mid range pretty good but the stock pipe works well too (SRV AND SS 440 are the same pipe) a little port work on the intake side and some exhaust work do wonders to this motor .... a 40mm round slide upgrade is a great help or like what was mentioned the RPC twin Carb kit ( i do have one NOS 85 and newer motor flat slide kit left) a phazer 116'' suspension up grade makes a big difference also going to a shorter ski and spring combo from like a enticer or EX 440 make a huge difference in handling ..... looks like a fun project and i do have some good clutching for the ypz clutch's

My buddy dropped a 540 into a 440. I was racing him across a field and was wondering why we were dead even. I'm thinking, man that's a fast 440. We stopped and I later found out from another buddy he has a 540 in it. Lol. He also put on on Aaen pipe. Sounds sweet!

If you need a psi pipe for that let me no. If you use that plastic spray paint make sure to spray a clear coat over it . It will last a lot longer
fbd311bf80f2c98216aace0a0ac4f8ea.jpg
b948148cfb6f0b4038617345434ca3a6.jpg
1d37d42e769a5ff33709e76104b148af.jpg
you need any parts I have A lot , went a little crazy on mine ask throttle junkie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back