HID kit. Anyone buy one?

srxr700

Lifetime VIP Member
I just picked up a mint 2001 vmax 600 dlx for my lady. It's everything I wanted minus the high output electrical.

Has anyone installed this kit? Feedback?

I run them on my Vipers but with electric start and the 300 watt ignition. I and many others were unable to get them to work with old ignition system. http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/threads/97528-Led-headlight?highlight=Hids. Good post about hid and led. Now that being said devinzz1 did get them to work and without a battery but no long term testing. Problems I ran into were the old system could not handle the load after longer periods of riding and would overheat the stator and shut sled down. This is even with a battery. The bulbs need very little wattage but it takes a lot to keep the balasts charged. But if his set up works long term that would be awesome.

I run them on my Vipers but with electric start and the 300 watt ignition. I and many others were unable to get them to work with old ignition system. http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/threads/97528-Led-headlight?highlight=Hids. Good post about hid and led. Now that being said devinzz1 did get them to work and without a battery but no long term testing. Problems I ran into were the old system could not handle the load after longer periods of riding and would overheat the stator and shut sled down. This is even with a battery. The bulbs need very little wattage but it takes a lot to keep the balasts charged. But if his set up works long term that would be awesome.

The ballasts only draw 3-4amps after warm up. I was very surprised that it actually has enough power upon startup without a battery to handle the ballast startup.The factory system SHOULD be able to handle double that. Maybe their are other side affects like some cheaper ballasts can send high frequencies back into the system but the extra capacitor ive added should clean that up.

Like he said. No long term testing has been done until the snow comes. I may swap out with an led bar yet...

Its the old ignition system :o|

I swore I would never buy a proaction without the dual bulb, but i found that 2001 deluxe in houghton lake and it's a cherry.

So the DDM tuning HID kit looks like it might be worth a try?

Here is the link to Xenon HIDS im looking at.

http://www.xenonhids.com/dual-beam-...X+600+Deluxe&gclid=CPjs5_jrhs4CFQGRaQod4G0IZw

They claim that it has been tested and works. They suggest adding the power relay harness to bypass the factory harness and pull directly off the battery.

Ive found all those hid kits like that are the same with a different sticker slapped on the front. just find some 35watt ac kit with a good warranty. or spend the money on brand name stuff.

i dont have a battery. im running it off the factory ac headlight output and converting it.

So the stator puts off AC to the bulb? Then you are taking that AC and converting to DC? Then the converted DC runs to a ballast which powers an LED?

So the stator puts off AC to the bulb? Then you are taking that AC and converting to DC? Then the converted DC runs to a ballast which powers an LED?

yes. a bridge rectifier is used to split the ac signal into pulses of dc. you need a capacitor to then smooth out those pulses into a constant dc signal. Ive used this before to put led pods on my bike which puts out alot less power but i havent got a winter of use on the sled with it yet.

There are some nice LED bulbs on the market that would save you some trouble. Not talking cheap ebay bulbs, but more expensive, high end leds. I have never used HIDs in my proactions, but am using a set of RoxHID in my apex. For the money, i should have bought the LED bulbs. At around $100, Hikari LED are hard to beat.

funny that you mention Hikari, i was considering them along with the SNGL's. i was reading up on here https://bestheadlightbulbs.com/best-led-headlights/ and was reading that the lighting can be blinding for these and i really dont want any trouble with the cops.

So it was between the SNGLs off amazon or the xenonpros for me, SNGLs have more light output but the xenonpros have a lifetime warranty (compared to 3 years for the SNGLs) which was the deal breaker for me

Last edited:

Back