Muffler question....

low slung

Just found a hole in the muffler of my fathers 1996 ET410II while i was cleaning off the rust for painting.I filled it in with my Hobart 125 handler welder(Added a piece of metal to cover it).You can hear stuff moving around the inside when you shake it.I was wondering would these holes cause a lean condition in turn burning up the engine?et410 muffler aug 20 2016 (2).jpget410 muffler aug 20 2016 (1).jpg

I'd think you would have had issues in the combustion chamber within its 20 year life. Before now.

Still runs strong and the plugs are the correct color(cardboard color).Got the exhaust painted now but i will check my local dealer tomorrow for a new one(USA microfilm says its no longer in stock but the canadian microfilm says yes but at a price of $638CDN).

Just got it painted yesterday and found another pinhole on the opposite side.Picked at it with a screwdriver until i got solid metal around it(grew to about the size of a dime).Removed the paint,then welded an electric panel knock-out over the hole and re-painted it.You can still get a new muffler from yamaha canada but its cheaper for me to add metal.Seems it rusted from the inside of the muffler(Maybe due to moisture built up). As long as the expansion pipe is solid i should be good.Don,t want to spend $750CDN on a sled that could give up the ghost in the future.Got $1200CDN spent this year on my 04warrior with $400 spent chasing a TORS issue that turned out to be the fuel filters:homework:($20 bucks) and $800 to new running board coolers(now i know where the coolant was going the past few seasons:roll:).Seems all sleds have issues but the yamahas take a beating better:yam:

Last edited:

Back