2004 Venom

Any hp difference between the years. 99-04. Kinda like 98-99 and the 00-02 srx's. I seen they use the same weights 8dg's in 02 sxr 600 and the 04 venom but different weights in the arms. 04 are lighter. But have 15.6 rollers and a ggg spring. 02 has 14.5 rollers ywy spring and heavier arms. Not much but different. What are the benefits of having the 15.6 rollers? Shift out,upshift?

Just an update on the 04. Added new windshield, Silver belly pan protector-Thanks to my Brother-inlaw. Removed the mirrors. Wife hates them..lol. It's looking good. Only other down fall is when cleaning the carbs I found on carb had a broken float mount. I have another set on the way but before they got here it flooded out the engine. :whine: I had to clamp off the fuel line to stop it from leaking in anymore. Now the question. With the fuel filling up the jugs how much damage can that cause with the gas in the lower end. I believe after cleaning the exhaust out and pulling it over a few hundred times it should clear out. Any other tips that might help? Thanks guys. I will get the final pics up soon.

Should be fine. Just run it real good when you can get it back together. Maybe even squirt fogging oil in the lower end incase you had some water in the gas. Just remove the reed cages.

Good to hear. Thank you Chris. No water in fuel so no worries there. But I like the idea of the fogging oil. That should help oil things up.

I had a sled that had a stuck float once and filled up the one cyl. I dried it out and fogged it really good before putting the carbs back on. Just a precaution, but hey. I also drowned a sled once did the same thing.

I had a sled that had a stuck float once and filled up the one cyl. I dried it out and fogged it really good before putting the carbs back on. Just a precaution, but hey. I also drowned a sled once did the same thing.

Since I have a Yamaha I don't cross water if I don't have to. My Skidoo on the other hand. I would put the skis right on the adge and have no issues running acrossed the water. But that was just my experience. Back to the yamaha. I will put some fogging oil in there before I fire it up. Thanks again for the info guys.

You can just clog the holes that spray water on the clutches and be fine with a Yamaha.

Running into more issues with this sled. Now I have a engine shake like crazy. Engine alignment is right on. My thoughts are possible motor mounts. Seems like after trying the sled out on the small amount of snow we have I get a belt squeal and the belt will be in a different height on the secondary. I pulled the carbs and the motor mounts are all tight and don't seem to be cracked or torn from what I can see. I hate to put mounts in it if it's not it. Any help guys? Thanks Rob

grab the clutch and pull up and down and see if it moves. i've sheared the front motor mounts before and it would hop around. for belt deflection, the belt should be flush with the top of the secondary, that squeal is from it being too tight. there are 3 bolts on the back of the secondary, take them off and remove the washer from behind them to get the proper deflection.

I can shake the motor from grabbing the clutch. The only think is we have a few sleds to compare against and it seemed to have the same movement. It's kinda weird. At one moment everything is running smooth and then after running it around it starts to jump again. Belt deflection was set. But again as the motor seems to move the belt deflection changes from good to bad. Just scratching my head at this one.

Last edited:
Where did you find a belly pan/ skid plate? Having a hard time finding anything for the venom!

you can search for a viper skid plate as well. Hard to find. I was fortunate my Brother in law had this one. Put a post up on here and look at the part out sleds on here and you might find one. Or create a wanted post for one.

I know this is the red head motor but it shares a ton of traits with the viper. My vipers shake worse then my washer on spin cycle along with the other red head tripples in the fleet. Now that being said as long as everything checks out i say your ok. Does it smooth out after your rev it up? Double check your alignment and Center to center. Also if belts squealing remove the washers from the back of the secondary, sounds like its running high in the sheave.

I know this is the red head motor but it shares a ton of traits with the viper. My vipers shake worse then my washer on spin cycle along with the other red head tripples in the fleet. Now that being said as long as everything checks out i say your ok. Does it smooth out after your rev it up? Double check your alignment and Center to center. Also if belts squealing remove the washers from the back of the secondary, sounds like its running high in the sheave.

I ended up replacing the front two motor mounts and the shaking went away. Also the belt squeal.
Now for what no one wants the read. The motor came to a complete stop while testing it today. My son was with me so I thought he hit the kill switch real quick. Wishful thinking. I got off the sled and turned the clutch slowly. It was tight but moving. So I was listening to the motor cylinders and they did not have any clunking. So I figured that was it. He hit the kill switch. Started the motor and it seemed okay. Well that didn't last.made it another 50 feet and she quit again. :whine::o|. My thoughts are lower end bearings maybe due to the gas flooding it. Maybe took one out. Does this sound possible. I spoke with the guy I bought it from and he says he did not have any issues like that at all. But seems a little fishy. Looks like the little project turned into a bigger one. Any other thoughts guys?

I picked up a red 2004 with e-start and reverse for the wife this spring. So far it's been great! On that note, I found this laying under the silencer. Does anyone know where it belongs?

IMG_0352.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0203.jpg
    IMG_0203.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Now for what no one wants the read. The motor came to a complete stop while testing it today. My son was with me so I thought he hit the kill switch real quick. Wishful thinking. I got off the sled and turned the clutch slowly. It was tight but moving. So I was listening to the motor cylinders and they did not have any clunking. So I figured that was it. He hit the kill switch. Started the motor and it seemed okay. Well that didn't last.made it another 50 feet and she quit again. :whine::o|. My thoughts are lower end bearings maybe due to the gas flooding it. Maybe took one out. Does this sound possible. I spoke with the guy I bought it from and he says he did not have any issues like that at all. But seems a little fishy. Looks like the little project turned into a bigger one. Any other thoughts guys?

Sorry to hear about the bad news. Sucks to have possible mechanical issues with new project . Hope things end on a positive note.

Last edited:

Back