2004 Venom

Okay new update. Sled is up and running but it seems like at first take off it seems like the brake is on. Takes about 5000RPM to get started. After rolling it's fine, but when slowing down it seems to slow down as if there is something dragging. I checked track tension, chain case, e brake. With sled on stand I can spin track with one finger. We are going through the clutches now. Only thing left is maybe track bearings? Any other thoughts?

I'm having a similar issue with mine and it looks like the belt deflection is off. The manual states that the belt should not be sticking up more than 1.5mm above the secondary clutch scheaves. The previous owner just put a brand new Yamaha belt on my sled before he sold it. I checked and sure enough the belt is 4mm above the sheaves. More than twice what is specified in the manual. This can cause several performance issues including take offs and top end speed. Instructions to adjust this are pretty straight forward in the book. I plan on adjusting mine tomorrow and I can let you know what happens when it gets back in spec. How many miles on yours?

Toboggan, check for worn secondary buttons and start over with brand new bolts for deflection.

Deflection is good. Belt does not sit above sheaves. It is level or a hair above. Secondary is completely rebuilt with new bushing. Buttons show little ware.

I followed the instructions in the manual today and I ended up taking all the spacers out to get the correct deflection. I checked the clutch buttons and it looks like someone has already been through the clutches to me as I didn't find any defects there. I took it out around the yard and noticed a huge difference as soon as I started backing out of the garage. The clutch engages at 4800-5000 rpm and is smooth. It pulls well at WOT and runs about 9,000 rpm. Slow cruising at 20 mph it was running around 5500 rpm.

The stock battery overflow tube is transparent, at least on the sleds I've seen.

The track will spin at idle on the sled stand however, only if you get it started rotating first. Right now I'm dealing with a broken off exhaust manifold bolt. Did you get your issues figured out?

We had the venom out running today. Seems to be good. Adjusted belt deflection again. Can spin track with one fingure. Going to order another spring for the primary. GGG seems to be to much. Test and tune.

Well whatever you do don't take off the exhaust manifold because I still can't get the broken bolt out and I think it's drill time now. 2 feet of fresh snow have fallen and I'm stinking of PB blaster and not yamalube. Boo!

Yeah a friend tried to weld to it but that didn't work. I am pretty sure we didn't let it cool down long enough but I don't know anything about welding. A small pointy stub is all that remains sticking up out of the bolt hole but not enough to grab with vise grips anymore. It's still enough to weld to again but I'm going to a shop tomorrow and I hope they can get it out. I have been soaking it with PB for a few days now... please, please, please....

IMG_0439.jpg

Last edited:
I ended up using cash to get it out. I paid a shop to remove it. They were able to weld a nut on as suggested. I guess I need to learn how to weld one of these days. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Back