Rebuild set?

snowhite

Hello folks,yes summer is coming to an end! OK don't know where I can find it but does YAMAHA offer a complete rebuild kit for the 600 redhead engine? Yes there are a lot of aftermarket sets out there to but I would like to know.If there isn't what's the top rated replacement kit you guys' would recommend?

I don't think they offer that. What happened to your engine? Did it seize on all 3?

I think yamaha you have to piece meal everything, Obviously OEM is best. But that being said we have rebuild 2 of these now. One with used OEM stuff and still running just fine. The other was with weisco piston kit and wonderosa gasket kit and is also running just fine. Important thing is to take your time and do everything right. Make sure all surfaces are cleaned and what needs oil gets it. Then when done warm up is the key. Even more so with the weisco pistons as they need time to heat up.

I bet you can get a complete engine on ebay for that price. Almost never heard of a redhead triple seizing ever. What happened?

Hey Norwegian, no the engine did not quit or seize up! I am just looking at a possible tear down, she has almost 14,000 kms. on her, still runs and starts like a Yamaha but I am just looking into options for gaskets. I am at the moment trying to get the starter out without taking the motor out which I might have too. So if I pull the motor out of the frame I would possibly look into the shape of the internals. A lot of people on this site talk about longevity on there engine but we all know that there is wear that goes on, piston clearance etc. I do not want it to grenade on me, I just want this sled around for a while yet.

I see. Depends how how it's ridden. I had under specs pistons on my srx with under 8000 km on it, while others here ride twice as long before they do any maintenance. I know a guy who rode 40000 km plus on a redhead triple before he even bothered to open it up. If you decide to open it, get a hauck headgasket, if it fits the 600s, fits the 700s I know. For the rest, use oem parts.

Yes thanks just looking for some advice out there, she was bought second hand so how it was broke is a mystery! But I put on the 11,000 kms.

it should be pulled down and the rings replaced at minimum. you are at the milage that they usually need a refresh or failure starts occuring. need to check the piston skirts for wear as that will mess up the niccasil and cylinder if a skirt lets go.

Last edited:

Back