So, am I thinking right or wrong Vmax600XT -96.

Diversion

Ran into some problems. I finally got around to changing coolant. It doesn't have any bleed screws on the block below the exhaust or on the rear heat exchanger as the manual claims. This is what I did:

I hoisted the back and loosened the lower hose coming out from the pump. A lot of coolant ran out. Then I took my garden hose and connected it to the filler cap. I kept going until the water coming out was clear. Now I was surprised because I thought the thermostat and the pump itself might pose at least a partial obstavle but the water came out at the pumps disconneted hose so it must have gone through the block.

Then I blew compressed air into the filler cap. There were some more squirts of water coming out but finally nothing.

Bought ethylene glycol and dejonized water at the gas station. I mixed 55% Glyckol and 45% water. Now I hoisted the front before i filled the new coolant. I had to run the engine a couple of times to get it in circulation. The heat exchanger eventually got warm so I guess that's ok.

Now's the problem. Manual says total of 4.1 liter. Let's say 4.0. I could only get a little more than 3 liter in before it was full. So I figured worse case the unaccounted liter is pure water.

Total amount of glycol i put in 3x550=1650 ml
Total amount of water i put in 3x350=1350 ml

Total amount of water should be 1350+the unaccounted 1000 ml, for a total of 2350 ml. assuming it's pure water.

So now the mix should at worse be 1650/4000=41%

This isn't good so I thought I get 3000 ml out and refill. If the same thing happens and 1000 ml stays in the system those 1000 ml are now 41/59 instead of pure water so with 3 new liter the mix in the system comes out at a little more than 50%. Is this ok?

You could also have an air bubble in the system

1 l. sounds a lof for an air bubble. I tapped 2.3 l. out yesterday and refilled 2.3 l with 70/30 mix (according to my calculations that will get the overall up to 60/40). When running the engine the heat exchangers start to get warm after a couple of minutes, ambient was 11 degrees Celsius. The would preclude an air bubble wouldn't it?

You might be surprised how much air can be trapped in the system. Like COB says, throw a bottle of cooolant in your trunk for the first few rides.

I am in process of doing a top end rebuild on my 96 Vmax 600. Are there bleeder anywhere? I saw a video that said Yamaha's had them under seat, are there any on my 96? Don't want to pull seat if not needed!

Yes, the air bleed ports are under the back of the seat on top of the rear heat exchanger where the hoses connect. Two phillips screws and two 12 mm nuts and the seat comes up. Jack the back end up so rear exchanger is the highest point in the coolant system. Start the sled to get the engine warm and crack the air bleeds loose. 8mm. When coolant weeps out of both, the air is out of the system. Tighten the air bleeds while the engine is running then shut it off. Put the seat back on and all is good.

Good luck.

Back