Raise Needles Info

merc9193

I'm going to adjust my needles. the tech page doesn't have pictures anymore. does anyone have picture of the right position for northern Mi on a 02 viper. I know you have to raise the needles because of the bad fuel, after you raise the needles do you still put octane booster in every tank or do you do it when you think there is crappy gas. Just bought my Vipers and this site has been a tremendous help for a newbie. Thanks again for all the info

I don't think there were ever pictures for raising the needles. Its not hard but I suggest if you have never done it before to remove the rack of carbs and do it on a workbench.

yes, you will for sure need a 2.5mm ball end allen wrench to get the screws loose in the top of the slides.

I'm trying to raise the needles. I'm not clear on the directions. directions say loosen the Allen Screws (Looking down through the top you will see there is 2 allen head screws, using a 2.5 mm ball head allen wrench looosin these and remove the piece they are in which is attached to the arm.) So I only loosen them I don't takes the screws out?. How do I get the piece attached off? Where does it un attach from? Do I have to move the throttle bar so the allen screws are closer to the top?

Take the 2 allen bolts loose and move the throttle lever and you will see the slide will stay down. Then you can use some needle nose pliers and slide the linkage off. Grab onto the little wire loop. Be careful not to lose any of the needle shims. They can be and more than likely will stick to the underside of the part that has the allen screws and will also stick to the slide. There will be 2 shims for each needle. It can take some working to get the linkage out. If you mess with it enough you will figure out there is an easy way to work it out but I don't know how to explain it. Once you have it loose it will all make sense.

I would have to do it again to remember exactly but i will attempt to explain how to get the linkage out. If you look at the top right corner of the carb opening in the picture. Once the slide is down you will notice a little ledge just under the top of where the slide is in the picture. If you slide the linkage off then slide it to the top right corner of the opening just under the ledge then let the throttle lever down it will have just enough room to slide the linkage out. I just figured this "trick"(not sure if its a trick but it does work) out last night so its not engrained in my head yet but I think that's how it went. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Those allen bolts must be removed from slide. They will not come out because of space but you want the slide to be free of the linkage. So move throttle so slide is all the way up and loosen bolts untill slide falls. Then pull up linkage out of carb. Pulling linkage out can be tricky but stick with it.

Okay, I raised the Needles last night. you have to unscrew the allen screws completely not just loosen them. Then the linkage will come out. I took some pictures for people doing this in the future. It was simple once I figured it out
Here is what the carb looks like after you remove the linkage

The linkage that slides off

Pic inside you can see the top of the needle in the bottom of the carb grab it with needle nose pliers

The needle after I raised the position 4th groove down both washers on top. (the 2 plastic washers are covering the 3rd groove in the pic

Thanks everyone for all the input. I'm learning so much from this forum. A few more things to do and hopefully we get snow in northern Michigan soon. So I can finally see how these sleds run

nice job merc on the pics. I never got around to adding them for the viper needle change settings.

Back