air filter on top of air box shot, rebuild it cheap using a shop vac filter

shaggyzr2

Just thought I'd share this cheap easy air filter fix. The air filters on top of the air box on the redhead sleds and the 97-01 twins falls apart after a while and a new one isn't very cheap, the redhead ones are almost $50. I went and bought a shop vac foam air filter, less than $5, cut it to size and glued it to the filter cage, hot glue seems to work the best. almost the same foam as original, just a little thicker. One shop vac filter was just enough to do the filter for the redhead. https://www.shopvacstore.com/shop-vac-foam-sleeve-details.aspx

Pics? Is this the black stuff that's underneath the cowling? Mine fell apart too if that's the case.

Also in the airbox, is there supposed to be a filter element?

Cool tip btw.

I found an aftermarket piece of similar material thru my aftermarket supplier. Peeled old one off and I cut to fit and is zip tied on.

http://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/roofing-soffits-gutters/gutters/gutter-accessories/future-foam-5-x-4-gutter-filter/p-1444430783374-c-5812.htm
Looks good Shaggy.

For the hood I picked up a filter for a furnace (not the standard cardboard frame this is an old style they had at the local hardware store) . similar to this https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...r2CK_P4t9F2iGR-diWFDPnog&ust=1482075287736866 it was $7 i think.
I used a gutter foam for the hood

Last edited:
My foam was 1" and I formed it over and around the side of the cage. Looks good. Thick enough the hood rests on it now. LOL So I have to press down a bit to latch it down. Oh well its much better than what I'd done before. I used a glue gun. It will be quite the job getting it off should I need to.

Inspired by this thread, I went to the local Ace hardware and found a great material for the airbox filter (I'm sick of spending $55 on these things myself.)

In the HVAC section, you can find a 15" x 24" sheet of 1/4" thick foam that's made to replace the filter in the front of a window air conditioner. Kind of like this. I paid $2.49 for it at the store, and there's enough to do 2-3 filters.

I can't find anything suitable for that hood filter though. What we're looking for is called reticulated foam, very porous stuff. If anyone knows where I can pick some up, chime in.

I always do, and that's a better price but still too much for some plastic and foam. I'm tired of getting nickeled and dimed on parts for these older sleds.

On another note: I did find some possible material for that hood filter. I have it on order and will report back as to whether it works or not. For $5, it's worth a shot. Amazon

RE Foamed Air Filter on Venture 600

I redid mine with a thicker 1" foam I got via Amazon Canada which actually came from China. It took 2 months but winter was a no show and just one ride earlier this week in a few inches of snow. Thats it for this year. A total waste of money on all the legal stuff needed to ride.

Anyway here is what it looks like. I used a hot glue gun to hold it to the frame and bind the cut edges to the foam. Its all one piece as the ends are folder over areas and cut to fit.

The hood presses a bit on it when down but thats not a problem.

Attachments

• 20170318_130635_resized.jpg
    20170318_130635_resized.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20170318_130653_resized.jpg
    20170318_130653_resized.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 17
I finally remember where I have seen some nice thin foam. It was in my aquarium supplies in the basement. For the aquarium filter that I have, you would have to cut the seams off of each side .... and wa-la. It is one that hangs on the back of the tank and filled with activated carbon.
This stuff would be for the triples with a filter cage that clips into the slush box. We're talkin 1/4" porous foam.
Too thick of foam hinders air getting into the air/slush box. And in effect ..... alters the jetting. In short ... it'll be a richer burn w/ thicker foam.

Last edited:

Back